gossip in the rumor mill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My team is falling apart at the seams because the girls are constantly bickering at each other through the social media. Name calling and back stabbing galore. Things like " Hey Sally I heard that Jenny was talking crap about you!!!" Now Sally and Jenny are fighting and causing a major division in the dugout... Its so bad that two girls quit last night. I'm considering closing up shop, and calling it a day. Tired of the nonstop drama

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Not trying to be a smart-rear, but you are dealing with teenage girls. I don't think there is any way you can avoid the drama. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is no wonder that coaches have rules about not mentioning the team or a teammate, on social media.

These girls seem to have other interests that they are putting before softball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As the father of a 15yo DD, I know this drama far too well. They're BRUTAL, and the veil of protection (not being face to face) offered by social media only amplifies the cruelty. I've seen some truly disgusting things said between "friends".

I suggest it's time to lay down the law. Your girls are a team and need to behave like a team. Bashing each other on social media will not be tolerated, and if it does happen, they should be punished (sit out, etc.). They don't have to love each other, but there needs to be some respect between teammates.

Apr 9, 2012
Cut your loses. If you KNOW the source cut them. If you do not keep only the girls and families you KNOW you can trust and start over.

If its allowed to dissolve the team before you do itll dissolve your reputation and ability to coach next.

Jun 22, 2008
When my daughter got to college her coach immediately told every member of the team he didnt want to see any deragatory comments on any social media, he and the coaching staff had to be "friended" on all accounts so they could monitor content and he never wanted to see any pictures of any of the team with red solo cups.

Her senior year an incoming freshman learned the hard way. She was making negative comments on twitter about the team and coaches. The coach called her in and told her the comments were to stop. No sooner had she left the coaches office than she got on twitter and made a comment about how no coach was going to tell her what she could and could not post. It just happened the team was flying out that afternoon for a tournament several states away and the girls parents were already on the road driving to watch. The team was driven to the airport in the team bus and as the players got off the bus they were handed their airline tickets. When this particular girl got off the bus the coach told her to get right back on because she wasnt going anywhere with the team and they would have further discussion when he returned. I know the coach allowed her to stay on the team, but being as my daughter was a senior I dont know if she returned the next year.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Yup it happens all the time. 1st meeting with the new team, "OK ladies first off, I expect each and every one of you to respect each other as ball players. You don't have to be best friends off the field, although that would be great, but once you step onto the field respect each other and respect this team."

I would talk to the girls you know and trust about who is the bad seed... then deal with it.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Yup it happens all the time. 1st meeting with the new team, "OK ladies first off, I expect each and every one of you to respect each other as ball players. You don't have to be best friends off the field, although that would be great, but once you step onto the field respect each other and respect this team."

I would talk to the girls you know and trust about who is the bad seed... then deal with it.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Don't give up coaching!!!!!!!!! :(
Social media is horrible yes. But a girl who acts that way on social media probably acts that way all the time.
Just make rules like everybody suggested. Keep a big roster so you have room to cut a player when needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole