Going rate for a practice catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Teammate at practice=FREE
Teammate in emergency within 30 minutes=FREE
Teammate at weekly lesson every week=$10-$15 per session

Some of the pitchers on our team when DD is catching them during a lesson or practice will save the last 20 pitches for DD and throw them in the dirt on purpose so she gets some blocking work in. In these cases it's FREE because the DIVA pitcher respects her Catcher.

Sep 29, 2014
Looks like my DD is going to be the starting JV catcher she would be happy to work extra with any of the varsity or JV pitchers for a swing by McDonald's for a french fry or a slice of pizza or nothing at all. I have in the past during another pitchers lesson just stood off to the side and then during breaks or if pitching coach was going over something with pitcher coached catchers you just have to make sure you are always ready and the pitcher is never waiting on you since they are the ones paying.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My bucket time has been reduced now that we are on the same TB team with my DD's best friend who is a catcher. Sometimes I miss being on the bucket, but I am an accident waiting to happen! LOL

Going rate around here for a paid catcher is $10/30-minute lesson.

Nov 29, 2009
In these cases it's FREE because the DIVA pitcher respects her Catcher.

Wow! DIVA???? That's a pretty damning blanket statement. I've seen a very few divas over the years, especially when they are young. Once they are older, for the most part, the pitchers respect what a good catcher can do for them.

Jan 14, 2015
My daughter would catch for one of her teammates for free. She would also catch for one of her friends for free who might be getting a pitching lesson. I also know any of her pitching friends would pitch to my daughter at a catching lesson for free too. At the end of the season or sometime in between a small token of appreciation would be handed over as a way of saying thank you. It could be a gift card, a grab bag of candy, itunes card, etc, nothing big or expensive. I'd rather my daughter not get paid to help someone, especially a friend. Then when she surprisingly receives a small gift she learns how much they appreciated her time and help. Good lessons are taught all around this way.

Oct 22, 2009
Really off topic but ..

I am a selfish SOB, DD has a couple players that asked to come over or go to her lessons to C her. I still C her.

This was me, I loved to catch. There were times though that she had to pitch against a wall or fence so I could watch her better though. She stopped letting me catch her her senior year of college. :(

Apr 14, 2014
We had to go outside our organization to find any dads that would give up the bucket, but my daughter has been able to provide catching for a local pitching coach and it has worked out well for everyone. The PC had several students whose parents were dying to get off the bucket and my daughter is catching for some pitchers that are actually better than her team's pitchers. She's 12U and has been given the opportunity to catch some 14U pitchers recently which I think will only benefit her as she will need to move up to 14U next season. No payment is involved as she is getting valuable practice that she currently just does not get from her current team. An unexpected side benefit is she has been noticed by a few of the pitcher's parents who have said she should tryout for their organization.

Our catchers catch teammates for free. Not all of our pitchers take advantage of it (some bucket dads can't give it up) but it is known and available to all.

I wish they all let their DDs pitch to our catchers, as it is good work for both parties. However, I can't make it mandatory when folks are paying for additional pitching lessons to supplement what their DD gets from our own pitching coach.

Dec 19, 2012
My dd has caught during pitching lessons for 9 or 10 years now for her teammates. She's even gone to college camps with them. She has never accepted money but she has accepted food and treats.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
Not to be a downer or anything, but has getting paid to catch effected their NCAA eligibility? I heard a rumor that a pitcher gave lessons during her high school years to younger kids and had to pay all the parents back to remain NCAA eligible.

My DD loves to catch during pitching lessons. Benefits to all around and a "Thank You" is all she will accept in return.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma