Go to a 33/23 or stay at 32 and go to 23oz

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2013
Parkersburg, WV
Daughter is 11, well 12 later this month. She is using the Hope 32/22 now and batted clean up all year. She hits the fence all the time but just can't get it over, 240/250 as most fields don't have the temp fences, lol. Batted .723 in middle school and .562 on a travel team. She is 5" 5 at 135lbs with a smooth swing, everyone says she doesn't even look like she is swinging hard, just smooth, fast bat. I have a 32/23 Xeno but she hates it, kids, lol. But it feels unbalanced to her, but she can hit with it. The Demarini cf8 -9 is said to be balanced but no one has one around here to try. Anyone on here experienced with the feel of the cf8 -9, and when will Demarini release the price on the 2015 as I see they have the 2016 cf8 out now on the web site? I don't think I should go up in length 33/23 yet but the extra oz 32/23 shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for any advice, she will be moving up to 13u, instead of staying down at 12u as the group is fantastic and she loves the coaching staff. We finished our last tournament at the World Series in Columbus, Oh where we came in 2nd to a team from NY, our only loss in the tournament. Core do you have any 2015 cf8 -9, I picked up the 2014 Xeno 32/23 off of you last year at a great price lol.
Also anyone using the Wilson firstbase mitt A2800 2015 or have any comments about it.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2013
Parkersburg, WV
I think she may sprout again too and the 33 maybe the way to go. Next spring seems far away when you never know if these girls may grow 2 or 3 inches in that span of time lol. Thanks for the vote JAD.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Last week we were in NE and Mizuno had a tent with a measuring system. You use one of their special bats with a device similar to the Zepp that measure your kids swing metrics to help with sizing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Like Jad posted I would move up a little bit in length before dropping the weight.

Demarini swing “light” so I can see why she would like that over the Xeno. DD likes them both. Nice thing about the Xeno is you know when your DD is hitting in practice, it has a really unique sound.

Please post a Video when it goes over the fence.

(DD has a 33/22 Xeno and an aluminum bat. I asked a parent to do a hand test to see which one weighed more. It was the Xeno because it is a composite bat. :))

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2013
Parkersburg, WV
She did hit one back in February at the pinnacle indoor facility in Akron oh but the wall started at about 185, she hit the wall near the top of the ceiling, I guess it's 35 to 40 ft high?. The 33/23 should be good for this coming season, I never do see any -9 around. Thanks for the input

Jan 24, 2009
Daughter is 11, well 12 later this month. She is 5" 5 at 135lbs. I don't think I should go up in length 33/23 yet but the extra oz shouldn't be an issue.

^^^This. You hit the nail on the head, but then you said this:

I think she may sprout again too and the 33 maybe the way to go...you never know if these girls may grow 2 or 3 inches.

Mark, it is unwise, but VERY popular, to buy a bat that is too long for the kid's CURRENT size. Growth should come before adding length, not the other way around. IOW, don't get a bat for her to "grow into."

Batted .723 in middle school and .562 on a travel team.

^^^What was it you were looking to get out of that extra inch again?

she will be moving up to 13u

She will be moving up to 14u. Pitching is different at 14u than it is at 12u. Know that your 12yo will be facing 13, 14, and 15 y.o pitchers. I'll re-iterate that it isn't the best idea to face them with a bat that she might grow into.

MarkAdams;343670 I have a 32/23 Xeno but she hates it said:
She is comparing the -9 Xeno to a Demarini 32/22 that runs light in the bat world. Consider that even a 32/22 Xeno will run half to one full ounce more substantial than the Demar 32/22. I think you are on the right track with the Xeno 32/23 personally. If you want the 32/23 Xeno to feel REALLY good in her hands, REALLY quickly, do two things:
1. Don't let her use the 32/22 Demar again. It's done.
2. Use a 32" Louisville Slugger ash or maple bat for the first 10-12 front toss swings daily for a while. Then go with 32/23.

After a week or two of decent batting practices, the Demarini 32/22 will feel like a wiffle ball bat or PVC, and if she picks it up she'll say "eeeewwe, way too light."

I'm not dogging Demarini here. If she is attached to the brand, add an ounce or two without adding length. A -9 demarini will be close to most -10 bats from other manufacturers, and their -8 should be in the neighborhood of most -9 bats.

Good luck,
VW

Dec 20, 2013
Parkersburg, WV
VW, thank you for the reply. The Demarini hope 32/22 is gone for sure, to lite for her for sure. I made her use the Xeno 32 -9 the other day and she was hitting great with it, kind of kept her from pulling everything to left field and was hitting 160 to 180 with ease. I think she just needs to use it all the time too. Its a new 2014 so you know these young girls get it in their head that they need the new improved version of everything every year. I always pick up the previous year bat, I would love her to try a LXT -9 too but nobody has one. We have a Dicks and a Dunhams here but they never have anything in the store except the mako or other Eastons???? I will take your advice on points 1 and 2. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma