Go to 2nd on a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The rules can be written differently in different associations. From what I remember the runner at 3rd does not have to retreat/advance until the walked batter touches first base. We used to have a play where the pitcher would turn her back to third and try to lull the runner into standing in no man's land. When I pointed this out to the ump he told me about the rule. I looked it up and he was right.

Also, on a hit ball when the batter runs past first base if she walks back toward first she must touch it before taking off for second. Keeping track of these rules is a pain, especially when a lot of umpire don't.

May 26, 2008
Vancouver, WA
IF the pitcher does make an attempt to play on her -- or on the runner at 3B -- the play is still live and the runners can feel free to dance around until the play comes to an end (ie. someone is out, or everyone is safe).

Thanks, it used to be easier when the girl had to go back to third but they recently changed the rule (I think 2 years ago) as Softball_2 mentioned.

Dec 3, 2008
"Also, on a hit ball when the batter runs past first base if she walks back toward first she must touch it before taking off for second. Keeping track of these rules is a pain, especially when a lot of umpire don't."

FYI... This is not true in the NCAA. Our players do not touch the base if they are planning to take off for second base. Once they touch first base, the play comes to an end.

Jan 19, 2009
In defending this, has anyone either thrown directly to the first baseman, or have the first baseman about 10 feet off of the bag and thrown to her when the runner rounds first?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom