Glove Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2010
I am looking to get my DD a new glove. This will be more of an investment than gloves past, so I want something that is comfortable, will last, and in a perfect world, not be too hard to break in.

I have looked at some custom glove companies online, but I'm not sure if they are any better than any other ones.

Not very many brick and mortar stores have anything on the higher end (not price necessarily, but performance).

What do you like?

Apr 8, 2010
we just shopped for a glove for my 12 yo dd. the problem we had was her hand is too small to fit the adult sizes, and the youth gloves would not accomodate the 12" ball. we ended up with a finch mizuno (black with optic yellow branding). fits well and seems to be put together pretty good. i fully expect to buy her something a little more high end in a couple years once her hands grow a bit more. akadema is becoming very popular (my 8 yo son has one and loves it).

Jul 9, 2010
No disrespect intend here, fp5, because I appreciate your response.

I should have clarified. My DD is a senior in HS, and needs a glove that will get her through fall travel ball, senior season in HS, and next summer travel ball. When she starts college, I'm sure we'll have to get something new.

It's funny, because I don't blink when it comes to $300 bats, but she uses her glove more than her bat, and I have heartburn over spending money on the glove. Now that I've mentally committed to spending some money on it, I was hoping folks could give me some pointers, because I've never looked at expensive gloves before.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I know you said that the stores in your area don't carry the high-end stuff you're looking for, but I think it's important for the user to be able to try on the glove before making a decision. ( This coming from a guy who has bought most of his DD's gloves online). The low to mid-range gloves I bought, worked out fine. the only high-end, $200 glove I bought has never been used. (and it was hard to find)

I have a nice Rawlings heart-of-the-hide glove that my wife gave me a few years ago. I couldn't actually use it until I sent it out and had it broken-in by a pro (Bretman - see his website. I highly recommend his services-he has repaired several gloves for me). Now it's my favorite glove! The thing to keep in mind is, the better quality gloves are built from heavier materials, are harder to break in, but last a lot longer.

Feb 24, 2010
I agree with obbay - make sure you get quality. Leather will last a very long time if treated properly. And check the type of leather that they use - the best I believe are made from cow hide, not "thinner" material from other animals or synthetics. Also check for the inside material - some is not leather to keep cost down and wears out really quickly. I personally like Rawlings and still have my fielders' and catchers' gloves from HS - 20+ years ago - and they are in excellent condition.

Jul 26, 2010
Try to find a sports or specialty shop that has a "glove steamer" and a manufacturer certified "glove tech" on site, so they can break in and fit whatever glove she chooses on the spot. A comfortable well-broken in glove is better then any (insert brand/model here).

-W

Sep 3, 2009
No disrespect intend here, fp5, because I appreciate your response.

I should have clarified. My DD is a senior in HS, and needs a glove that will get her through fall travel ball, senior season in HS, and next summer travel ball. When she starts college, I'm sure we'll have to get something new.

It's funny, because I don't blink when it comes to $300 bats, but she uses her glove more than her bat, and I have heartburn over spending money on the glove. Now that I've mentally committed to spending some money on it, I was hoping folks could give me some pointers, because I've never looked at expensive gloves before.

Justballgloves dot com is a good source. I know they will let you try one, and send it back if not happy, no quesitons. They are local to me, took my dd to get her mitt there. I think we tried on everything they had... :rolleyes: They're very customer service friendly, and carry all the major brands.

Aug 8, 2010
I am a Player Rep for Vinci gloves. My daughter uses on of the Vinci line for FP and it is the best glove she has ever used. Vinci makes extremely high quality gloves and my interest as a Rep is developing a FP line by picking out appropriate models and suggesting changes or tweaks to Vinci. If anyone has any questions or would like pics of the gloves myself and my daughter have let me know. These are true lifetime quality pieces of leather. Check out the website too. My daughter uses the BV1929-L 12.5 inch model in Red and it is awesome for FP.

Casey Howell 229-224-0759 howell@syrupcity.net

Baseball Gloves, Softball Gloves and Equipment from Vinci

Aug 8, 2010
Here is my daughters that she uses right now.
IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5787.jpg

Last edited:
My DD uses a Mizuno - favorite glove and wasn't too hard to get broken in, either. The body is mainly black with some tan accents. She LOVES that glove. Her hands are as big as mine, so would certainly work for a Senior in HS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole