glove color

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Umps made DD black out her Mizuno glove last year after a coach complained when she complained after being down 10-0. Honestly, I don't see the resemblance or the rule infraction. Maybe it's my aging eyes. One is optic yellow, the other is neon green.

item-mv13-gmvp1209pl.jpg
images

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Umps made DD black out her Mizuno glove last year after a coach complained when she complained after being down 10-0. Honestly, I don't see the resemblance or the rule infraction. Maybe it's my aging eyes. One is optic yellow, the other is neon green.

Wasting your breath. I don't agree with the rule, but it is what it is. And the reason the umpire ruled in that manner is if you start discussing particular shades or hue of a color, you are just going to get into that much more bull

Nov 29, 2009
Personally, I believe the entire rule is ridiculous.

You know that without the rule there would be someone out there who hang a hollow ball off of the pitcher's glove trying to get an advantage. Unfortunately, the rule does have some unintended consequences.

Nov 29, 2009
Personally, I believe the entire rule is ridiculous.

You know that without the rule there would be someone out there who hang a hollow ball off of the pitcher's glove trying to get an advantage. Unfortunately, the rule does have some unintended consequences.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Talk about taking it to extreme, but the issue is color. One of the original arguments was that if the color was on the fingers, you wouldn't be able to tell if the ball was in the glove or not. Huh? What does that got to do with pitching? Not a damn thing.

Used a white ball for decades with many, if not most team wearing white pants. Where was the concern then? A team can wear optic yellow pants and there is no rule about that! But a smidgeon of a color similar to that of the ball and the world as we know it will collapse.

IMO, it is a BS rule and probably caused mainly by coaches seeking an excuse for a player's shortcomings. The pitch must come from the bare hand which is inside the elbow and wrist and release below the waist. That pretty much narrows down the delivery point from which the ball must come, so if the batter is distracted by anything, the color of the glove probably isn't his/her only problem.

Nov 29, 2009
Talk about taking it to extreme, but the issue is color.

Yes I did take it to the extreme. But you know as an umpire there are people who will try anything to gain an advantage. The rule book is there to try and keep the game equal for all parties involved.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Yes I did take it to the extreme. But you know as an umpire there are people who will try anything to gain an advantage. The rule book is there to try and keep the game equal for all parties involved.

Which is how some of these ridiculous rules and interpretations evolve. To stem issues like this we need to:
1. To get the coaches to coach the players to play the game and stop making everything a strategic issue to gain an advantage;
2. To get the local umpires to start thinking about the rules by which both teams agreed to participate and NOT buy into some ridiculous argument that is clearly not within the guidelines of the rule book
3. Once an issue does arise which needs to be addressed on the field because something unusual occurred, don't keep it to yourself, but run it up the chain of command so it can be addressed uniformly so all the umpire have it the same interpretation;
4. The UICs must take the responsibility to disseminate that information;
5. The sanctioning body needs to take a reality check on what is truly a valid issue and not be reactionary in decisions based on a few screaming the loudest.

JMHO

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1