Girl's do not want to catch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
My 10u DD is the best catcher in our rec league and could be (certainly if she worked at it) the best catcher on her select team...problem is she does not want to catch :(. So she plays 1st base on her select team but I make her catch some on her rec team (we have a hard throwing pitcher from her select team and the girls and probably the ump would get hurt if she didn't catch when she pitches). My assistant coach is in disbelief every time. He can't believe she doesn't want to do something at which she is so good. She never practices catching anymore...but clearly it is her natural position. I just can't convince her that it is the best position on the field. I don't want to make her do anything she doesn't want to...but I am hoping she realizes that is where she has the most potential.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Andy, I haven't had the prob with dd not wanting to catch yet, but I did spot a catcher in senior league early in the rec season, she must be about 16, long blond hair, kind of looks like Hannah Montana with gear on, only cooler. She seems to be a real team leader and have lots of friends. So when ever I spot their team playing, I usually happen to stop with DD to watch a couple innings. Shortly after the first couple times of watcher her, I noticed dd changed her normal game day hair style to try to make it similar.

May 2, 2010
don't push her.....
you'll do nothing but push her further from the plate.

The game is, just that, a game. It's something that kids should do because they WANT to. I was a GREAT shortstop..... but I wanted to catch. (I was also an All-State catcher) Like yours, my daughter could be an AMAZING catcher ~ if she would just work at it. But, ultimately, it's her game and her choice.

Feb 24, 2010
I have the other end of the story. Youngest DD (YDD?) just turned 8 and started U8-manager pitch last week. They get to play a variety of positions, but the coaches always ask who wants to catch. YDD gets to catch 2 innings and when I get home after a game with ODD, the look on YDD face was unbelievable - "DAD, I GOT TO CATCH! I LOVE IT! TEACH ME TO CATCH!" all within 1 second of me getting home, with a crazed look on her face. So now I spend what little free time I HAD with YDD teaching her how to catch.

And it's paid off. ODD had first TB tourney of year this past weekend. DW says that from the stand, YDD tells her that our "catcher is killing us, she needs to catch the ball, the runners are stealing everytime, what is the coach thinking". I hope YDD ends up with better knees than I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott