Girl's do not want to catch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Maybe I'm just lucky! 14U and I have 2 good catchers, 1 learning and 1 that wants to. that's out of 11 players.

My DD would rather play catcher than anywhere else. She's still taking pitching lessons also, but that may not last much longer (she's 14). I want her to work on IF more, but behind the plate is where she wants to be.

Jan 15, 2009
My theory on this is that young girls 7-10 really only see hitting as "fun". Defense is the unfun stuff you do between at bats. Catching is the most unfun position of all because it involves putting on the hot, heavy (sometimes sweaty and stinky) community catching gear and having a ball thrown at you, and some creepy guy dressed in blue hovering over you yelling things like "STRIKE" "BALL" Add to this that if you volunteer to catch the coach might make you do it all the time.

Some girls gravitate right towards that position because they love all the positives mentioned above (contant action, getting dirty, etc.) My own daughter played her last year of in house on a team where no one wanted to catch. She was one of two girls the coach (not me) convinced to catch and the other girl struggled. At least it was a rotation of two kids. We get to the end of the year tournament and the coach decides to lean on her and have her catch three games in a row on an extremely hot/humid day. In fact in one girl threw up from heat exhaustion after running the bases in the first inning. My wife and I kept my daughter hydrated and she seemed fine physically, but after the last game she took off the gear hot and exhausted and said never again. We won but at the cost of my daughter's enthusiasm for playing that position.

Her first year of travel ball I tried to get her back into trying catching but she wouldn't even discuss it so I wrote her off as a catcher for good. She started missing playing catcher the following fall and she worked into the rotation and by the following year was a starting catcher again. Now she loves it and proudly calls herself a catcher.

I don't have any good answers for how to get kids to want to catch initially. I would recommend getting several players (3-4 or more) playing the position on younger Rec teams because I believe playing the position is the only way to find out if you really like it or not and most kids won't give it a try without a little push. Maybe everyone on the team has to catch at least one game?

Jan 24, 2009
At 8u coaches usually find a kid that can't throw or catch and 'stick her at catcher.' There are no steals and the coach is just lobbing the ball so they place a weak fielder in that position to limit her effect on the defense. I suspect nobody wants to be 'that' kid who has to catch.

Our 10u rec league doesn't allow stealing home. The best one or two catchers in the league can throw out a girl at second once in a while. Given these facts, the coaches usually put a girl with just enough glove not to get hurt behind the plate and put their 'studs' at P, 1B, and 3B. Newer coaches put their top dog at SS if she doesn't pitch. They generally see it as a waste to put their real animal at catcher and this is, IMO, because they feel the need to win. And so, they put that budding catcher on first base because she can catch the ball. Now you have girls thinking these other positions are the places of importance. Eventually the talent moves to travel ball, and they may even play a year or two of travel ball before they figure out that the catcher is the key. After all, they learned at an early age that the coach hides his weak fielder behind the plate.

Too bad, really.

Dec 10, 2008
Well I just had my first practice and no surprise. No one wants to catch. Now my DD will catch but She really is not that good. I wish She was better, but with 3 girls and 2 pitching its hard to work with her. Don't get me wrong ,She works with the other 2 but I think She may end up like Snocatz DD. All our parents want their girls to play infield and thats it.

IMO, problem is caused by younger girls playing one position. Another words ,coaches. I also have been told by parents that their DD will not catch. I mean, I can't see forcing anyone.

I am sure all of you have heard this. Whats the best approach. BTW, I have 10 girls and 7 very good and even infielders. 3 are pitchers and I will rotate girls since parents think they can choose one position for their DD to play.

Jan 15, 2009
What if the parents told you

"My daughter will not play outfield!"
"My daughter will not play 1B!"
"My daughter will not bat lower than 4th!"

In you situation I would have a team meeting with the parents and anounce that you will be rotating catcher every game for now and all non-pitchers will catch both in practice and in games, since no one wants to do it. If later in the year there are players that want to play the position more then you will consider those requests based on their ability to demonstrate a proficiency at the position.

Short of a doctor's note about some condition that prevents the kid from being able to physically play the position ( I know there are some knee conditions out there that qualify ) kids will catch (or pitch) or they will be off the team.

As a show of good faith you can tell them that your daughter will be catching the first game, but I wouldn't put it all on your kid to allow some other non-coach be making decisions on where kids will or will not play. That's why your the coach. If they don't like it, they should have volunteered to be the coach.

We had a coaching clinic at Hamline University recently. At the college level he has all the non-pitchers share in catching duties in order to lighten the physical grind on his primary catchers.

Your at a turning point. Your going to have to decide if you really want to be a coach. Sometimes it's going to mean making decisions that make people angry, maybe even people you like. You might have to bench your best friend's daughter in a critical situation and if you can't stomach that then you can't continue to coach because you'll always just do whatever creates the fewest waves. As long as you do what you believe is fair, and best for the team, you will be able to sleep at night. Changing a decision because of a fear of a confrontation with a parent who disagrees with you will cause you to constantly second guess yourself and it will drive you nuts.

You can tell the parents that they and the kids are welcome to share thier preferences with you as to their favorite positions, but that all final decisions on positions lie with you and you will not accept a parent or player trying to dictate where they will play.

After you work through the rotation of catchers once, I would reassess and pick the 3-4 best kids to become your catching rotation for games and have the rest catch only in practice (if at all) because some kids just don't have the physical ability to play the position. That probably means they don't have the ability to play anywhere else either, but you can't stick that kid at catcher and have them catching and throwing every pitch and demonstrating that lack of skill so frequently.

The carrot to go along with the stick above is that you can always rotate the catcher from the previous game to their favorite position in the next game. That will take some of the sting out of catching for the kids that really want to play somewhere else.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
A few years ago I had a kid at tryouts that was a good catcher. When it came time for the pitchers and catchers to workout, she refused to participate.

After they tryout the parent told me that "coaches put the worst player at catcher" and his daughter was not going to catch.

I mentioned that DD was a DI catcher and then just smiled, thanked them for coming to tryouts and sent them on their way.:D

Parents need to remember that it is not the position that makes the player, it's the player that makes the position.

These athletes are softball players, there are three positions, offense, defensive and BENCH!

Dec 10, 2008
Snocatz, excellent post!

I guess that is my problem is trying to make people happy. Maybe I should just rotate almost everyone. That would stir things up. LOL. The assistant coach told me her DD plays SS and pitcher. When She asked where my DD played last year , I replied ' SS,3B and pitcher'. She said 'can she play first' . I about fell over. She continued that her DD cannot catch low balls to first. I asked her how she caught low ones to SS then.:confused:

I am going to see how the next couple practices go. I will try girls everywhere .

Apr 27, 2009
My 7 year old daughter plays catcher on 8U league. She was the fifth or sixth girl to try it. She played 1st and 3rd initially. We play spring and fall ball and she started at 4 years old in coach pitch. She loves it! She wants to hit the batting cage, practice and catch. Don't get me wrong...she likes to play 1st base sometimes. And she has days when the gear is hot and heavy or something else is going on she doesn't want to miss. I just tell her if she doesn't want to play she needs to pick up the phone and tell her coach personally. She puts the gear on and hits the field without another word about it. I make it her decision and she understands her team needs her to be there EVERY PRACTICE AND EVERY GAME. She has a strong sense of commitment and is currently catching 2-4 games/day in tournaments plus 2 weekly league games. We are working on drills and increasing leg strength. She can make a good level throw from knees to pitcher and possibly 2nd base by this season's end. We have picked up a back up catcher this season and this has only made my daughter want the position even more. The coach has given her permission to call time out and bring her players in. Nothing would make you chuckle like a tough 7 year old girl heading out to the mound to get her pitcher back on track. :)

However, we love our coach and trust the decisions he makes (he has earned it) and she knows he has the team's best interests in mind. She will play wherever he needs her to play. I have been around long enough to notice that isn't always the case with young players or parents of young players.

Nov 1, 2008
last year when i was coaching a boys coach pitch team, i had boys who CRIED because they didn't get enough chances to play catcher. i had 3 very good players wanting to play catcher. i had to rotate them during the game to try to keep them from getting down on themselves. eventually they grew to like playing the field and i was able to put another one of the boys at catcher who needed the practice of repeatedly catching and throwing. it really helped his ability to catch and throw. he improved quite a bit from the beginning of the year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812