Get RAD Catching Workout~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

There is framing & balance segmant in last minute of this video.
Subtle glove work starts at 5:45.
Will see some subtle glove work with wrist, those are close to the zone pitches.

Speaking about even lower pitches like drops and change ups. Which may be going into the dirt~ have to get further under pitch to hopefully get a framed strike. Turning under reaches these. Frame / Field or BOTH! The fielded dirt pitch that gets called for a strike.
Go glove work! :) 👍

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If your speaking about knees drop glove stays as a target~

That
1. Isolate's mechanic of knees drop & hold posture.
With glove out can feel torso working.
Try it, can feel the difference of arm out or bring glove down..

2. Muscle memory to keep posture and shoulders foward.
Not drop weight/tushie/shoulders backwards.

The kids I'll work with probably have never done the drill this way. They always did this with coming down with the glove. What coaching instruction goes with this?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The kids I'll work with probably have never done the drill this way. They always did this with coming down with the glove. What coaching instruction goes with this?
Keep in mind there are different crouches people do.
*Prefer a strong balanced catching stance. Starting with muscles engaged! Knees atleast as wide as shoulders. Feet out (not underneath tushie.) Feet wider than knees works for many. Keep tushie slightly up!
(no saggy tushie sitting on heals, thats just weight like an anchor. Also can tend to trap feet.)

When we drop to knees our stance/posture is still strong and balanced on our knees.
Knees go straight down not backwards
Do not shift weight back.
Do not squish down.
Only thing that moves is feet kicking.
No need for any extra weight shifting.
Keep shoulders in front of knees.
Big and strong.
(Not squishy tiny)
Goal is to hold our athletic posture on knees.
*This maneuver can also be used to still frame a pitch.
(those pitches that are intentionally extra low and may bounce react defensively, still control pitch)
It is simply coordination helping our brain/body distinguish seperate movements.
To focus on each technical part.
Then to put each mechanic together.
Screenshot_2020-12-15-05-36-30-1.png

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
There is framing & balance segmant in last minute of this video.
Subtle glove work starts at 5:45.
Will see some subtle glove work with wrist, those are close to the zone pitches.

Speaking about even lower pitches like drops and change ups. Which may be going into the dirt~ have to get further under pitch to hopefully get a framed strike. Turning under reaches these. Frame / Field or BOTH! The fielded dirt pitch that gets called for a strike.
Go glove work! :) 👍
Umpires will swear up and down that they are completely unaffected by a catcher framing pitches. What's your experience tell you?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Umpires will swear up and down that they are completely unaffected by a catcher framing pitches. What's your experience tell you?
Thank you for this great question!
*Think ask it in umpire forum too! Their perspective on how they view pitches.

Here is my feedback~
Had already been catching since 6yrs old. Then met a Pitching instructor Bill Owens showed me this...
he held his arm out fingers up and did a wrist shave
in-out-top-under.
Other then that the rest is self taught.
When I was 13 or 14 I had an Umpire say to me that was the best framed softball game he'd ever experienced and handed me his clicker- ball strikes and outs.
I was doing the same catching mechanics and framing you see in the workout video. Also setting up on the edges of the plate for inside and outside. Framing from shoulder to shoulder and then up and down. I have had low pitches that did bounce in the dirt that I turned into strikes simply by subtle gloveworks turning under the pitch. (Not dropping to knees just glove work)
I have framed pitches that were easily two softballs off the plate or out of zone, and gotten Strikes. Not all umpires are the same and we know that they look at that Strike zone area differently. Learning that quickly is important!
Have been training catchers for 34 years and participate in watching my catchers play their games, hearing the compliments of their success. Have met and known umpires for years. They tell me they appreciate my students defensive skills, compliment their framing.
The pitchers enjoy getting more strikes. Travel ball coaches like these mechanics send me catchers to train and ask for if ones available come tryouts. Students have been recruited by colleges 30 years.
Can i speak for how or why umpires call the zone they do? No. :)
What i can share with you is the success i and others have with these mechanics.
Its a story of accomplishing 50 years of success in softball at the new year!
WOOHOO !!!

20201215_112021-1.jpg

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Appreciate the Catching inquiries through pm's.

Hope these training video's are helpful!

CONTROL THE BALL TO CONTROL THE GAME !!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying