Get RAD Catching Workout~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Heres another great question was asked about approach to
Fielding Dirt Pitches To Throw.

Question~ 'When catcher is receiving a dirt pitch, should they wait to receive it befor going into motion to throw?'

Reply~ When learning to field/ pick dirt pitches. We want to
A. Establish controlling the ball first, making sure our foundation on knees is balanced and strong proper position to...
B. Go into throwing mechanics.

As we learn our skill sets we
'develop timing'.

Now can implement the mindset with timing to
Use our immediate explosive movement to get to knees,
(energy created getting to the ball)
To field and go into pivot without delay!
"Field and Fire"

*ideally we want
'zero down time faster pop times!'

Just like defensive fielders on grounders and fly balls,
*we want to use energy to get to the ball field/transition with our energy through the play into our throw.
( example~fielders dont/shouldnt stop when fielding. Should go to the ball, field while keeping moving into throw!
An outfielder shouldnt just stand under fly ball,
Rather take an approach coming forward into and through receiving ball/transition/ into throw)

Like to say~
"Attack the ball, dont let the ball attack you!"

Appreciate the inquiry!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
Like the glove range aspect.
As we learn to read the ball comming to us,
We can grow that technical skill to interpret
'cutting the ball off'

1. Get glove behind the short hop to cut off the bounce and/or spin.

2. Cut off the angle befor it gets to the side.

3. Play the ball, dont let the ball play us!

Look forward to video! 👍

Hey RAD, Ok finally got some video of what I mean by she "reaches" sometimes. Sorry, It's shaky bcuz I was using my phone and zoomed fully in. It's like you are on a bumpy roller coaster watching it. lol 🤪 Looks like the old JFK Zapruder film.

We are doing various drills you have and others to try and get her to better guage her "reach limit" and so it becomes instant reaction when a ball is coming in low. Just one of her main habits that is tough to break.

First vid of her blocking: (I teach the same technique as you with the hand picking the ball out of glove like a IF would do. I don't like the hand behind the glove like many teach. Takes too long and also limits a quick transition to throw.)

Block in slo mo:

Reach and miss: (runner on first at the time)

Reach slo mo:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Hey RAD, Ok finally got some video of what I mean by she "reaches" sometimes. Sorry, It's shaky bcuz I was using my phone and zoomed fully in. It's like you are on a bumpy roller coaster watching it. lol 🤪 Looks like the old JFK Zapruder film.

We are doing various drills you have and others to try and get her to better guage her "reach limit" and so it becomes instant reaction when a ball is coming in low. Just one of her main habits that is tough to break.

First vid of her blocking: (I teach the same technique as you with the hand picking the ball out of glove like a IF would do. I don't like the hand behind the glove like many teach. Takes too long and also limits a quick transition to throw.)

Block in slo mo:

Reach slo mo:

Alright good to see video!
First two video~
Like seeing her react and turn glove! Hand/eyes are on it!
Suggest keep posture on knees forward, bring tushie up higher= will bring torso forward. Shoulders in front of knees= atheletic position on knees= more glove range and stronger balanced foundation.
( not drop weight back)

As for last 2 videos.
I prefer an athletic crouch flat footed, knees minimum as wide as shoulders, feet outside of body.
Not underneath tushie.
This allows more use of big muscles and feet are not trapped underneath.
Look again at 5n5's video.
Look for side to side drills.
Athletic position pick up foot push with other leg.
To go left, pick up left foot push with right leg.
To go right
Pick up right foot
Push with left leg.
Do
Foot work first
Then
Add Get explosive to sides.
*Muscle memory becomes natural reaction!

Nice video!
Remind her catching is being a
Defensive player from an extreme athletic position.
(;) extreme infielders)
Can create a mindset of the requirements of mobility!

GO CATCHERS!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Another Get RAD Catcher
Ella Pace 14 yr.old. aka~ The Bionic Woman
(my nickname for her)
ENJOY!

We do this workout in about 20/25 minutes with the added pivot burst = can see defensive manuever to the ball. Then same with adding pivot/burst.

The glove and ball work at the end
Call it "Trust your glove" in place.
And "Trust your glove" in motion.
(People probably call it other name also)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Block in slo mo:

Reach slo mo:

I know RAD is the expert here but she has to start off much closer to the batter.

Mar 6, 2016
I know RAD is the expert here but she has to start off much closer to the batter.

Haha...Oh Yes I totally agree. That's funny you spot that bcuz that has been an ongoing battle for past few games. She got "clipped" ONE time about a month or so ago and she creeps back now and then if a long lanky girl comes up. It was a tall girl with long loopy swing and she got hit on warm up back swing.

So she starts off back and then creeps up but sometimes does not get far enough and I or another coach have to remind her.

Ive told her many times that she will eliminate 1/2 the balls in dirt probably if she moves up some and get it before it hits.

Strange how one thing ONE time can stick in their brain.

Mar 13, 2017
While there is that choice,
Prefer Not.

Turning our glove under can be to frame a low pitch.
Then also used for dirt pitches.
Prefer Turning under for consistant glove work.
Frame or dirt pitch.

Also want to encourage getting body as far over behind the ball. To then use posture and glove range.
To set us up best for our throw.

Not encouraging reaching.
*exception extreme beyond getting behind.
Is your preference for low pitches to catch with the glove turned over or working thumb underneath or catching with thumb pointing down and allowing the pitch to rotate the glove up?

Mar 13, 2017

Block in slo mo:

Reach slo mo:

Adding to what @RADcatcher said I have my catchers relax the glove arm as the pitcher is releasing the ball. Does two things allows them to adjust and get under low pitches and also helps them keep the ball in the strike zone instead of being rigid and dragging the ball out of the zone. Also looks like she pops into her stance a bit late she popping up as the pitch is coming in low.

secondly as far as fielding like an infielder for quicker transfer, why not have catchers catch with two hands so the transfer can be “quicker”. The amount of time perceived as saved is not worth the exposure to the off hand IMO. Again just my opinion but I prefer a back hand pick to standing throw.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Is your preference for low pitches to catch with the glove turned over or working thumb underneath or catching with thumb pointing down and allowing the pitch to rotate the glove up?
Starting fingers up.
Thumb east/west.
Turn glove under/around.
(not thumb pointing down)

*Can be used to frame low pitches!
*Also prepairs for dirt pitches!
Videos show glove speed with this mechanic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802