Gauging College Coaches' Interst

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
I'm trying to figure out how to help my DD get to that next step in the recruiting process--gauging coaches' interest. DD is a sophomore in HS. For the past 2-3 years, she's been to college camps, individual showcases, team showcases and college visits. She's been emailing college coaches at her targeted schools (skills video link always included). The list of schools is appropriate for her skill level – smaller DI’s, DII’s and some DIII’s. The DIII's that she's interested in have all expressed a lot of interest and 1 of the DI’s has as well (to her travel ball manager). I’m worried that time is getting short and we need to step it up…just not sure what to do / how to help her. Any info/insights/experiences you can share would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
First, despite what you may be told (on this forum even), you are not short of time. You have time - and a lot of DIII's won't really 'commit' until senior year (since they don't have athletic scholarships - it is all about the academics)...

So have you done the following:
- ACT/SAT. DIII's want to know you are going to qualify. Very important with your target levels. Is her grades were they need to be?
- Narrowed down your school list to match academic goal

Who is REALLY interested? Well has anyone turned up at her showcase events to specifically look at her? Is she attending showcases where her preferred schools are attending or known to be attending.

You have done enough work now to start moving into phase two - specifically asking coaches who have expressed interest and coaches at schools you prefer to come and watch specific games. You will likely still be looking at additional schools, but y9ou can now start pushing a little harder with the schools you have interest in to decide if they are worth pursuing harder.

Also remember almost no new prospect recruiting happens in-season - which is right now.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have always found that asking the coach direct questions yielded the best results. Your DD is a product and needs to solve a problem or fulfill a need for the coach/program. Start with determining through conversations with the coach if he needs someone with your daughters skills. She may be great at what she does but it does not matter if the need does not exist.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
Thanks marriard. She'll take the ACT/SAT in the fall. Her grades are okay ~3.2 gpa. She's targeted about 15 schools that meet her academic criteria and has been emailing them regularly for about a year now. Also, she's been to most of their camps and campus visits. She's had coaches turn up to her showcase events, but I'm not always aware of all the coaches watching as I'm in the dugout focused on the games.

Let's say the coaches at her 15 targeted schools have been to see her play and she's been emailing them regularly. What's next? Should her HS and/or travel ball managers contact those coaches letting them know she's really interested in their school and ask if they have any interest in her? Especially the DI and DII schools since they can't really contact her back? She has a good dialog with the DIII coaches.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
Thanks riseball. I wasn’t sure if I could/should contact the coaches directly since I’m her father (also asst coach on travel team though). What would be the best way to contact the coach to begin that conversation, and should it be me or the manager of her HS or travel team? Is this an in-person conversation, or through email/phone call? Really new at this, as you can tell. Just want to get it right and help the other girls on her team as well.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Taking the SAT/ACT is important as a lot of coaches like to know if they can get academic money for their recruits. I would also recommend keeping an eye on goldfastpitch to find out which schools have verbals for which positions and years. Please keep in mind that this list is not 100% accurate. Most schools will take one pitcher per class, so if your DD is a pitcher and some of her target schools already have a pitcher verballed for her graduation year, you might want to move them down on the priority list. Asking coaches directly "what are you looking for and is my DD a fit?" will probably save you a lot of time and money.

Time is probably getting tight for D1 schools, but you have plenty of time for D2 and D3.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have always found that asking the coach direct questions yielded the best results. ... Start with determining through conversations with the coach if he needs someone with your daughters skills.

Who, what, when, where? Should parent call the coach? Should travel ball call the coach? Should sophomore initiate this conversation at a camp? This sounds like a sophomore with no history of communication with the coach except sending emails and possibly saying 'thanks, that was fun' with a handshake at a summer camp.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD took the SAT as a sophomore and the interest level went up a lot. Her travel coach speaks to the college coaches and flat out asks, "what is your level of interest." I would not do that if I were you but would ask the head coach to make those calls since you are her dad.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
DD took the SAT as a sophomore and the interest level went up a lot. Her travel coach speaks to the college coaches and flat out asks, "what is your level of interest." I would not do that if I were you but would ask the head coach to make those calls since you are her dad.

This is what needs to be done and far too often does not happen. It is what I have done for years. It sounds as though the interest/need is there. Someone needs to come in and close the deal.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Who, what, when, where? Should parent call the coach? Should travel ball call the coach? Should sophomore initiate this conversation at a camp? This sounds like a sophomore with no history of communication with the coach except sending emails and possibly saying 'thanks, that was fun' with a handshake at a summer camp.

When my DD was going through the process her TB coach and pitching coach were in direct contact with the college coaches. For D2 and D3 I think more direct contact between the player/parents and the coaches is allowed. While direct questions may be uncomfortable and you may not like the answer, it is the best way to narrow your search. You can spend a lot of time and money chasing opportunities that are never going to pan out, so you need to focus on the opportunities that may come to fruition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand