Game Streaming

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 7, 2016
Anyone able to get game streaming on a budget for the unlucky family members that can't get to a game..?
Mevo offer a camera with streaming, but with a battery is is close to $700. Plus subscription to a streaming service - crazy to pay $99 a month. I can't justify that cost right now.
The only solution I can come up with is to get a couple iPhone chargers, an iPhone holder/tripod and use Facebook Live with a wide-angle on the iPhone. GoPro have a camera that WIFI's to the iPhone, but again there is a cost for that and the additional battery packs.
I'm not really interested in recording games right now, more about letting the team's parents and family watch the game when we travel.
Perhaps someone has had some success...?

Jun 12, 2015
The teams I've seen that have done this have used a phone (you can use a LynkSpyder to mount it) and Facebook live. I think YouTube has a live option now too. I imagine the data adds up pretty quickly if you don't have an unlimited plan.

Jul 9, 2012
Yeah... Equipment costs are minimal. It's the data usage that will kill you. If you are on a unlimited plan, just get a phone mount and a external battery and away you go. Facebook live is the best free option....Seeing as everyone is on the book these days.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
As mentioned above, unfortunately, there just isn't an inexpensive method out that there due to data costs. You can certainly use a cell phone to stream via Twitter (Periscope), FaceBook. and YouTube for free. The problem is, with a low speed connection, the quality is pretty bad and hard to watch. At high speed, the data costs are pretty rough. Just to give you something to start with, about 90 minutes of video to YouTube at 480p (640x480.....HD is 1920x1080) will come to about 360MB, or rather, a little over 1/3 GB. So 3 games in a day is going to be at least 1GB. Not sure what kind of plan you have, but that might be doable for you. My suggestion would be to test one of the free services out on an open weekend at the park. YouTube seems to work the best but FaceBook might be easier (both in starting a recording as well as sharing with your fans). Just hold your phone up to the fence where you would have if mounted and have a kid run out on the field. Record for a bit and have people let you know if the live stream and/or the posted video works for them; meaning, they can make out what is going on.

If it works, and of course I am biased, this is the setup I recommend. But there are others, and I certainly encourage you to investigate what works best for you:
Smartphone Configuration
smartphone-s.jpg

Jun 12, 2015
If you get a mount just get the LynkSpyder. It's totally worth it! Josh may be biased but he's still right :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles