Game plan or winging it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2018
Hi. I’m coaching 14u rec summer league - from reading on the forum I think that’s what you call all stars.

Teamed up to coach with one of our other rec league coaches who is a friend and who has coached in our league for years. Officially I’m listed as head coach but we agreed to tag team a lot of the responsibilities depending on our schedules.

The team has 12 players. 3 are really good (ss, p1 and cf), the other 9 are all good and pretty even skill wise at their various positions at this point. The other infield positions we have 2 girls assigned to each and we agreed to rotate them unless/until someone rose above and really claimed the position. Rotating the corner outfield slots among the others as well. P2 and c2 are both good outfielders.

First game we had only 10 available due to vacations. We play 9 with continuous batting order. He floated a lineup by me before the first game that I agreed with for the most part. Not exactly what I would have had but really close.

Great first inning 1-2-3 with a couple of nice plays made by 3b and 1b. Next inning he tells the girls “same positions”. 3rd inning same again. After they took the field, I pointed out that one of the girls hasn’t played yet so next inning he swaps her into rf. 2 more Innings of that almost the exact same defensive lineup. And I remind him again to sit someone else. He lookes around and satvthw first girl who he laid eyes on who was t the pitcher. He seemed to be just making the changes on the spot with no plan.

We ended up playing 2 extra innings so 9 Innings. Only 4 girls sat.

For me, that doesn’t hold water. When i have 10 girls and none are a clear liability, I don’t think there’s any reason for anyone to sit more than 1 inning of a 7 inning game unless it’s a focus/discipline issue.

I would typically have a plan drawn up for each inning and adjust from there. I don’t like making changes on the fly but I will play the hot hand if someone is really shining out there.

To me it is lazy coaching to not at least have a plan. maybe we just have different styles? Am I wrong to bring this up before our next game? I’m concerned howbit will play out when we have 12 girls and 3 have to sit each inning. Do you all plan out your subs when you’re coaching this type of team?

Jun 22, 2019
For this type of team I would have a planned inning by inning line-up for the field. I would only deviate if there was an injury or attitude issue.

Now this depends on how competitive the team is and how close the skill level is. For a rec league team swapping is typically expected.

Apr 28, 2019
Hi. I’m coaching 14u rec summer league - from reading on the forum I think that’s what you call all stars.

Teamed up to coach with one of our other rec league coaches who is a friend and who has coached in our league for years. Officially I’m listed as head coach but we agreed to tag team a lot of the responsibilities depending on our schedules.

The team has 12 players. 3 are really good (ss, p1 and cf), the other 9 are all good and pretty even skill wise at their various positions at this point. The other infield positions we have 2 girls assigned to each and we agreed to rotate them unless/until someone rose above and really claimed the position. Rotating the corner outfield slots among the others as well. P2 and c2 are both good outfielders.

First game we had only 10 available due to vacations. We play 9 with continuous batting order. He floated a lineup by me before the first game that I agreed with for the most part. Not exactly what I would have had but really close.

Great first inning 1-2-3 with a couple of nice plays made by 3b and 1b. Next inning he tells the girls “same positions”. 3rd inning same again. After they took the field, I pointed out that one of the girls hasn’t played yet so next inning he swaps her into rf. 2 more Innings of that almost the exact same defensive lineup. And I remind him again to sit someone else. He lookes around and satvthw first girl who he laid eyes on who was t the pitcher. He seemed to be just making the changes on the spot with no plan.

We ended up playing 2 extra innings so 9 Innings. Only 4 girls sat.

For me, that doesn’t hold water. When i have 10 girls and none are a clear liability, I don’t think there’s any reason for anyone to sit more than 1 inning of a 7 inning game unless it’s a focus/discipline issue.

I would typically have a plan drawn up for each inning and adjust from there. I don’t like making changes on the fly but I will play the hot hand if someone is really shining out there.

To me it is lazy coaching to not at least have a plan. maybe we just have different styles? Am I wrong to bring this up before our next game? I’m concerned howbit will play out when we have 12 girls and 3 have to sit each inning. Do you all plan out your subs when you’re coaching this type of team?
I like your philosophy. Everything planned out in adcance. Make adjustments as needed during the game.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
A few factors to take into account when planning subs. How important is winning this game? Is it pool play? Is it bracket play? Is this a double elimination tournament? Is this a league game? Should we play our #2 catcher/pitcher to save #1's for the next game because of the heat? Is this a timed game or are we scheduled for 7 full innings?

Yes I realize we all want to win every game but there are those players who play less in important games that need to play more in the less important games to gain experience. From what I glean from your description of players with few exceptions most were equally good which makes subbing easier.

I't's no secret that you can get more players in by pinch hitting/running and re-entering and/or using the DP/Flex.

Jun 12, 2015
There was a reason you were named HC. The other guy is an rear.

Take control of the lineup. Run it your way.

The parents will blame you for the problems.

^^this 100%

What rec game is so important to win that the same girls should play in the same positions basically the whole game?

May 20, 2018
For this type of team I would have a planned inning by inning line-up for the field. I would only deviate if there was an injury or attitude issue.

Now this depends on how competitive the team is and how close the skill level is. For a rec league team swapping is typically expected.
Thanks good to know I’m not way off base. I Was concerned that maybe I was being overly anal about it. I got thrown into head coaching about 5 years ago when the rec league was short handed. Had to figure most of it out for myself and have always mapped it all out to make it easier for me.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
^^this 100%

What rec game is so important to win that the same girls should play in the same positions basically the whole game?

While I agree with this, if this rec game was a playoff game, then it does change the thought process a little. Play everyone every where possible during the season, but if its a rec tourney, then do what you can to win. That is the goal of the regular season is to create players with game experience and to put the best on the field when it counts.

For example, we played LL last spring and during the regular season, we worked with every player we could to get some infield time during the season. When All Stars rolled around, we worked with all the girls that were selected to find out who was the best and where. During games, we had to play every one at some point. But we didnt put the 13th strongest player at SS ever. We played the best 9 as much as possible to be able to continue the season for as long as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13