Fun indoor practice ideas?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2012
Hey guys.. it's starting to be a long winter here in WI... I think the girls would like a change of pace in practice. .. do any of you guys have any ideas for some fun drills to do indoors?? Our team is 10U.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
You can do it a few ways but I think my favorite drill is to line up 2 Teams on either side of your work place. One Team tries to throw it by the other Team, if it gets by them the coach picks a player that should have stopped it and they are out of the game. Obviously you are not allowed to throw or bounce the ball over their head. You can do they need to field it cleanly or just keep the ball in front of them. You get the idea.

Another one is to again split into Teams, doesn’t matter how many. A player from each team needs to sit on a bucket and catch a ball throw by her teammate. If the ball is not thrown where she can catch it she needs to go get it then back sitting on the bucket. You control this by how far you sit the player back. Fastest Team wins.

It is cold here too. :)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
At that age, whether indoors or outdoors we used to play several different games at the end of practice although they could have been used at any time during it. We would play a game we called "Knockout." Myself and another coach would be set up by one hitting from the middle of the 3rd base line and the other at the middle of the first base line. The players would form two lines; one at SS and the other at 2nd. We would hit the balls across the field to the lines. They had to field it cleanly and make a good throw back to the coach. If they failed in either aspect, they were out. The last one standing won.

The other variation of this game we called "Bucket Ball." We would set up my ball bucket on home plate. Stacked on top was a smaller soft sided cooler and on top of that was a small Gatorade bottle. The girls would line up as before. I would alternate hitting to each line from somewhere near the bucket. They had to field it cleanly and throw to the bucket. If they hit the bucket, it was one point for the team. Hitting the cooler was worth two points and knocking the Gatorade bottle off was worth three. If they didn't field it cleanly they would go to the back of the line and their throw wouldn't count. The first team to 21 would win.

Usually, by the end of practice, the girls would be practically begging to play one or the other. They had a lot of fun with those.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2012
We like the Star Drill. Competition brings out the best of them.
Cut off, relay races are fun too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves