Frustrating Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Two biggest questions would be does the Varsity coach have a clue, if so, maybe your issue will take care of itself next year.

How does your DD do in travel ball? Unfortunately your DD might have to use HS ball as a time to have fun and hang out with her friends (always taking it seriously between the lines) and just understand that her travel team is where her primary focus needs to be.

Also keep working on her other skills...hitting in particular, although it does sound like you might have found the exception to the rule....if you can hit I will find a place for you in the field.

I don't think you will ever find a team where politics and favoritism are not at play but it does seem the higher in levels you go for favoritism to be in play all things have to be equal first because to have the best chance to win you need the best players on the field and coaches and the higher levels want to win.

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
Thanks for all your comments! Let me first say the people in this area don't take softball as serious in terms of developing kids so they can get to the next level. Only one player that I know of has gone on to play college ball in the last 20 years. It's very telling about our program and the poeple who run it. We are about 2 years behind as far as HS ball is concerned. The coaches have a NO PARENT RULE! no parent can be down by the field durung practice. I have watched them practice every day and I have to say , what a waste of time. Every thing that is being taugh they know already! Most of the players have the worst mechanics, they can't even throw correctly. They will never turn a double play beacuse their not being taught how to get rid of the ball in any acceptable time frame. The coaches simply don't have the knowledge to teach advanced stuff to these kids and if its even mentioned to the coaches they get defensive. Any coach who is truely dedicated to growing a program keeps stats! That's how you evaluate progress and know where the work needs to be done. I have to say that no one and I mean no one works as hard as my DD on her game.......more ranting and complaining...

You haven't answered any of the important questions that have been asked by several members of this group and just continue to bash the coaches and other girls on the team left and right, even starting a new thread questioning whether or not pitching coaches are any good if they've never pitched before. And really...throwing the race card into the mix? We get it. You're frustrated. It's not fair because you think your DD is better than everyone else and isn't getting the chance to play because the coaches suck and play favorites. Here's a novel idea. Instead of complaining about the coaches lack of skills, how about you offer your 30+ years of softball knowledge and help them out? If you don't have a solution then you're just going to be perceived as a whiner. Your DD is handling this situation far better than you are. Ultimately it is going to be up to her to fix her situation by speaking directly to the coach and asking what she needs to do to get the playing time you think she deserves.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter’s senior year in HS the catcher a very sweet kid could not catch her. In one game she dropper eight third strikes and all eight reached first base. The coach solution was to reduce DD pitching time, it upset DD a great deal, because her junior year with a different catcher she was undefeated had two no hitters and had her picture all over the paper a number of times.

I did not interfere although I was very disappointed for her, the reason I did not interfere was because I felt live in general is not fair and this taught her a good lesson how life sometimes works.

In our area HS sports is all about politics.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I already know this will be my last post. I'll just come to this site for information and not to give my opinion.

A customer comes to a store to get what he/she needs and then leaves. A member comes to a club and asks how he can contribute. The question is: are you going to be a customer or a member here? Because it would be nice to know that all the great advice from people with years of experience here is not wasted on a customer that is unwilling to return the favor. Sorry, but stuff like that bugs me.

Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for all your comments! Let me first say the people in this area don't take softball as serious in terms of developing kids so they can get to the next level. Only one player that I know of has gone on to play college ball in the last 20 years. It's very telling about our program and the poeple who run it. We are about 2 years behind as far as HS ball is concerned. The coaches have a NO PARENT RULE! no parent can be down by the field durung practice. I have watched them practice every day and I have to say , what a waste of time. Every thing that is being taugh they know already! Most of the players have the worst mechanics, they can't even throw correctly. They will never turn a double play beacuse their not being taught how to get rid of the ball in any acceptable time frame. The coaches simply don't have the knowledge to teach advanced stuff to these kids and if its even mentioned to the coaches they get defensive. Any coach who is truely dedicated to growing a program keeps stats! That's how you evaluate progress and know where the work needs to be done. I have to say that no one and I mean no one works as hard as my DD on her game. After her regular practice we practice an additional 2 hours and every body knows this. They see us working on her game and many parents comment about her dicication to the game and she also takes time to work with the other players to help develope thier game. She is a total team player! The other kids don't even come close in terms of dedication. To me, that extra effort should be recognized. It certianly shows in her performance. Now, I know that she not some superstar thats head and shoulders above the rest of the team. In fact, she has to work twice as hard just to get where she's at and she's doing it. She's preforming and putting up the numbers that any coach who knows softball should recognize. This is not as much about playing time as much as it is her desire to be the best pitcher she can be. When compared to the other pitchers there is no question who preforms better and to me numbers don't lie! The 10 strikeout game was at a tournament and the next time we faced that team in leauge one of the our other pitchers pitched and got shelled. She did not face the weaker line up. Listen to this and tell me it's not playing favorites! The other pitcher has mini tanturms and fits on the mound and when she comes off the field she throws her glove and bitches about the other players making errors behind her and the coach tells her to verbally blaze the other girls in the dug out for not supporting and then the coach make the other girls pamper her by holding ice on her shoulder. If my DD did this I would pull her from the game. Hell, she knows better. Her DAD and the coach are good friends. He coached the junior team ( 8th grade team ) last year and knew almost nothing about softball. I help him out and he was always asking me what to do. Now that our DD's are competing for the starting JV pitching spot he won't even talk to me. There's also the girl who always gets to start at 1st! She leads the team in strike outs. Strikes out 80% of the time. She so big and slow that during bunting situations she instructed to just stay on first base because she can't move. I've never seen a coach taylor their defense around a player because of thier physcal limitations. There's another girl on the team that hits way better and can run circles around her but the big girl gets to start because her DAD is friends with the coach and he keeps the scoring book diring the games. No, no favorites here! Look, I have told my DD just keep her mouth shut and go out there and do your best. She never complains she just keeps working hard and she know this will pay off in the long run. I have to give her credit for how she has handled this season. It's just this one time that she busted her rear and threw and good game and got nothing! Come on! Anyone who knows anything about ball would have felt the same. She is not a whiner! Put your self in her shoes after all the work that has been put in! She told me she will continue to work hard and improve and you won't hear a pep out of her. She said my perfromance will do the talking. I hear what your saying about stepping back and letting the coaches do their jobs and run things the way they want. I've seen the way things are and let me just say, just because they are in charge of softball dosen't mean they know softball. I have never complained to the coaches before, this is the first time, it's has not been a regular thing. I know better. Your not dealing with some over bearing father who dosen't know shirt about softball. I have wanted to, but I have said nothing until this incident because it was wrong! I know coaches have their favorites and that's part of ball. I can except that, but when a coach at the HS level dosen't know one of their pitchers just struck out 10 batter and accounted for 13 of the 21 outs in a game and then denies that it happened until she looks at the book, please! I know what your thinking, that he just dosen't get it, but I do get. I've been around ball long enough to know. So I wasen't going to there but let me add a twist. My DD is one of only two hispanics on the team and both girls have had to take a back seat to players that have preformed worse. She tells me that the coach dosen't even know her name! She always calls her by some name other than her own! DD just lets it go and keeps on working and dosen't complain. SHE NOT A WHINER! The only one she's ever said a word to is me and I have managed to keep quite until now. I never adderssed the favoritism, playing time, lack of the quality of coaching or not knowing her name. I thought I did quite well considering! Sometimes it's appropriate to stand up and be heard if your standing up for the right things. Don't try and tell me someting is not going on here! It's been this way here for a long time and it will always be this way! So we will just have to deal with it. We will keep our heads up and continue to work at being the best. Once again thanks for all your advise. I already know this will be my last post. I'll just come to this site for information and not to give my opinion.

Whatever your decision, could you please break up your posts into paragraphs? I read your whole post here but it was difficult.

Apr 13, 2013
I was talking to someone last night, they left our club because of all the politics. He said it is even worse with their new club and might be coming back next year. :)

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Writer Saul Bellow said, "When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice."

Sounds like the original poster was hurting and was looking for validation, but got honest opinions instead.

I hope he reconsiders and becomes a part of the community.

I have looked for an accomplice a time or two as well. My first post here was mostly about discharging my frustration and hurt and looking for comfort. It was stinging and very helpful and balancing to hear a different perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06