Frustrated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2008
Northern Ontario
Well, I play in Ladies' Fastball as well as coaching (assistant) a Bantam/Midget team in local houseleagues.

As a coach (first year by the way), I have tried to make things fun by having many players in game-situation practices, etc. My girls every now and then would come to the ballgame literally 5 minutes before the game (for no apparent reason) and would just seem to have a "defeat" attitude for the entire game for no reason. I have spoken with each girl to be sure that they were okay and have even done some one-on-one practice with them. They have always given me their feedback (and criticisms) and have adjusted things accordingly to their delight (I even had some unexpected phone calls from many players thanking me for making the game fun while still playing strong!). Yet, some days, they come in with a very downing attitude about the ballgame (no issues with socializing, however!) and would do very little effort in playing ball. It's just frustrating to me and to the head coach of the team because we know that the girls can do better than that.

As a player in Ladies' Fastball, my team...well, let me put it this way, it seems like me and 3-4 other players are the only ones making up a "team". I even have 2 teammates who would stick out their leg to try and stop the ball (sheesh, it's not soccer....not to mention an accident waiting to happen!). For the past two weeks, there was only me and one other player who would be there half hour before the game starts and everyone else shows up 5-10min before games starts. As a result, I can't really warm-up properly (b/c this other early teammate is on the phone trying to ensure that we have enough players for the game!). I also think I'm starting to injure myself (starting to see signs of "tendonitis" in my right elbow which is my throwing arm aka "golfer's elbow") because of lack of warm-up which usually results in me making a lot of throws from left field to second and third rapidly and on several occasions to home for that game. I've already started warming up by myself including throwing several balls at the fence as well as trying to pitch (again, against the fence). I was even asked by a couple of my teammates why I never practice pitching before the game starts so that I may pitch later in the game. It's a little hard to practice if no one shows up until 5 minutes before the game starts! I even offered to hold a practice over the weekend (when everyone would be available_ but no one wants to. I even asked my teammates to show up earlier so that we can hold quick drills to keep our skills sharp so that everyone's on the same page but their response was "Don't feel like it." Argh!

Once, I blew up at my team in the middle of one game (very first time in all the years that I played ball) because I was so darn frustrated. I wasn't proud of myself during that particular moment but several other teammates who are very similar to me backed me up. I'm a woman of few words so when I do speak up, everyone listens. It seems like me and these 2 other players are backing up everyone else for nothing. I don't mind losing or allowing a run to score as long as people make the effort. When my teammates pull stunts like this, the other teams take advantage of this.

My coach for the ladies' team is trying his best. He even volunteered to coach at the expense of him missing some of his baseball games. He even stated to me and a couple of other players that he decided to not come back next year because of this whole thing. To be honest, I don't blame him.

I guess my beef is that, if one doesn't want to play ball, why even show up? Why does it seem like some days, the entire team comes in with an already "defeat" attitude for the whole game no matter what a coach does or heck, even a teammate? It's a wonder that we even win any games (both girls and ladies)!

As a coach and/or player, how do you combat this? Why does it seem like some days that a team comes in with a very crappy attitude that seems to spread to everyone else?

Jul 17, 2009
for your youth team:

it starts at practice. introduce/ find new skill building games and techniques to make things more interesting. maybe the kids are bored. just look around the net and you will find new games to stoke the fires if interest. with youth teams you can keep it fun and do a LOT of winning. fortunately my teams have enjoyed a lot of success. in 2007 when i took over i had ZERO pitching and still took 3rd in league with ALOT of hard work and yes, fun. last year in 2008 we took 2nd and were the only team to beat the 1st place team, this year we improved again and took first while going undefeated. to my knowledge no team has gone undefeated in this league in at least the past 6 years and it may have never happened before. not bragging just trying to show that i might have some insight. YOU have to make it happen. lead by example. when a kid arrives late there needs to consequences. the parents need to have a handout with BOLD print telling them what is expected. even this wont help some of them. my parent letter is golden! BEST OF LUCK.

ok, as far as your second team..the ladies FP team. i thnk you should have a team meeting, lay it ALL on the line and let them know if things dont change there will be a change, you and the other commited players will be gone. thats one way to handle it.

May 18, 2009
I would stop the tardiness by having a running session starting in practice. If practice is at 7 the players are due to be at the field by 6:30 to warm their arms up. It's their responsibility. Depending how late the young ladies are everyone should run one lap for every minute late, but I'd have a maximum amount of laps. You know your players and how much they can run.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
NV, I disagree strongly with using running for punishment. It is no more than the infliction of pain on a child. Obviously, kids have to run to get into shape, but running as punishment is a "no-no".

I never have trouble with kids showing up late. If someone showed up later, they didn't start. I didn't care if they were the superstar on the team. Rules are rules. The very first team I coached, I had a severely handicapped kid on the team. A "superstar' came late to a practice, so guess who started for the superstar? And guess who was never late for a practice again?

May 18, 2009
We've done it a couple times. Not like a major punishment, after all a softball field is kind of small. 3 laps is alright. We don't make the girls really run other than base running.

After we did this twice there were no more late girls.

May 10, 2008
Northern Ontario
Well, if almost the whole team shows up late and I bench them, that means that we'd forfeit the game. I'm not quite sure if we want to go that route as this is only houseleague. I kind of want to go for it though and it just might serve as a wake-up call with them.

As far as running laps as punishment, I don't believe i would go for that as we're trying to keep girls in the league, not scare them away. I'm also not quite sure if that would be an effective solution as many girls on my team loves to run but I'm going to talk to the head coach about this.

To llabtfos, thanks for the suggestion of trying to find some fun items for practice. I did some research and found some interesting "games" so I'm going to try and incorporate a couple of them into practice tomorrow. Wish me luck! By the way, that is a very inspiring story about your team! Thanks for sharing. I'll keep the letter in mind for sure. You're right though, we do need to show that actions have consequences.

As far as my ladies' team, there are only 3 teams in my league (long story) so if we leave, there will only be 2 teams in the league. At that point, they just might call it quits. If we leave, we might have trouble trying to join a team next year to ensure that we have enough teams to form the league again (preferably starting with a bare minimum of 4 teams). I will call a team meeting next Wednesday for sure and address our concerns. Me and the other committed players have been discussing about forming our own team for next year as well. Now, all we have to do is find extra players which is a topic for another day. ;)

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
MY thoughts.... older players are playing for FUN and when you take the fun out of it for them, they stop playing.

My suggestion is you all meet for a Team outing. I was at a HS with few travel ball players (Not very competitive) and we'd meet for dinner sometimes. Was fun we got to know each other better, TALK about things in a light atmposphere and MOST importantly get most girls in agreement to work together for a few months to practice more of what we needed. THEY practically decided on their own to want to be a better team. (Are your teammates old eneough for beer? Disccusion at dinner place (mexican / Wings / Pizza or somewhere similar/inexpensive for a couple beers or soda, Wings/Pizza). at least we had fun together and ummmmmmmmmmmm...... thats what most players want!

If they really don't want to get there earlier and only want to play for fun and more relaxed atmosphere, then find 2-3-4 players that will show early and loosen up and throw with them, then undertand your chances for playing well are in line for how much the team prepares and if they accept that, go with it!
* EVERYONE likes to hit. Maybe set up a place you all meet close by to either warmup at a batting cage area or maybe 45 minutes early for those that WANT to get swings in from Front Toss of Lite Flight / Wiffle Balls ??

Just some thoughts and ONLY from my experience working with 18U and older girls that aren't really into practice, but playing for fun. (NOT serious ASA type tournies)

May 10, 2008
Northern Ontario
When everyone plays well, we have fun. Yet, when a couple of people don't make the effort, everyone else "sucks", literally. It's almost like they feed off each other. When we do have practice (last practice was 3 weeks ago), everyone is on the same page and consequently we play like a team who's having a ball (no pun intended). If we don't do some drills, everyone mopes yet no one wants to set up a practice. I hope I'm making sense here.

I think me and the other committed players are going to warm up together earlier for a little bit before the game starts and accept the fact this may be the best we can do with the rest of the team. Bottom line is, we're all happy to be able to play fastpitch beyond 18u and that's the important thing. Sadly, there are no batting cages around (the joy of living in Northern Ontario) but certainly, we can try to set up some hitting sessions.

Your suggestion for taking our entire team (ladies not girls) out for dinner (yes, they're all old enough to drink not that I'm condoning it by any means! lol) doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'll bring that up at the team meeting as well :)

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Jul 17, 2009
here is a great game to try at practice-good for all levels!

divide into two equal teams. you need all infield positions except for pitcher for team A, and a team B for baserunners.
i call this the "around the horn" game.

one team (A) starts in the infield and one team (B) starts by running the bases.

a coach will start the game by hitting a ground ball to short. the short stop (team A) then throws to 1st base. the 1st baseman must snag -touch their base and then throw to the 3rd basemen, who also must touch 3rd before throwing to the 2nd basemen. The 2nd baseman must catch and also touch 2nd before firing the ball home. OH, did i mention a baserunner from the other team (team B) is flying around the bases the same second the coach put the ball in play to short? this is where the fun and skill building and baserunning come into play! whatever the skill there are usually several close plays at home (for asfety, just make it a force out at home an not a tag play/,,i prefer no sliding if not needed. once all players have ran, switch out and the infielders run and runners go to play infield.

that's just one fun game u can use to spice up your next practice;-)

Our hs practice starts at 6. If any of the girls aren't there by 5:45, phones are ringing. They warm up with running foul posts and stretches and then they throw. Those who show up late, do the whole routine alone before joining the rest of the team "practicing". As for being "late" to games? No way - there at least an hour early to check out the competition and get themselves ready. Promptness follows you throughout your life and it must start somewhere!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog