Front Toss Drill Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
I think the ASA ACE coaching manual generally did a very nice job summarizing most of the important parts of the swing.

I have a question though regarding one of the coaching points they make regarding the front toss drill. Specifically, they state "Make sure the hitter is starting the negative move on time and getting the front down soon enough prior to the release."

While I've certainly seen plenty of players, struggling with timing, who don't get to a launch position until too late, I'm not comfortable recommending players have their front foot down "prior to the release." The model swings thread makes it clear that very few players have completed their stride prior to release.

How do you handle timing on the front toss drill?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Early season (now) I get ready to toss, say the word "load" then toss. I mix in fakes to instill in them to start the swing on every pitch good or bad. If I think they are getting into load without my cue, I will stop saying it.
I would NOT have them getting the front foot down before release. You do not stride before release. Load yes. Stride no.

Oct 19, 2009
I think most important is that the stride foot is down prior to starting the swing. We've found kids who habitually "drop their hands" often have that front foot still in the air as they are swinging. What is really happening is that their entire upper body is coming down as they swing resulting in a miss under the ball or making contact with the bottom of the ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think most important is that the stride foot is down prior to starting the swing. We've found kids who habitually "drop their hands" often have that front foot still in the air as they are swinging. What is really happening is that their entire upper body is coming down as they swing resulting in a miss under the ball or making contact with the bottom of the ball.

Start swinging on one foot? I was just trying and can't do it without almost falling over.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD’s swing is dictated by certain positions in the P’s motion. To sort off duplicate it I count out load, 1, 2, 3, throw the ball. Sometimes just count with my figures, where she can see them.

R

RayR

Yup - not enough time in close up tosses...get the front foot down - front shoulder down and in - on toss - walk off the back heel and throw the hands - learn to unload correctly....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi