Freezes in box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
Coach has been working with DD (and she's been working when away from the team) on her hitting. At the cage, softtoss, front toss, and tee, she hits the ball well. When she gets into the batters box in a game though, she makes bad decisions on balls/strikes, and just doesn't do as well.

It seemed she turned a corner last week in a tournament... hard hits, just right to players (even taking some "fast" pitches straight to SS). Last night, one strike out swinging, one looking.

What can I do to help? I'm not able to replicate speed/location like she see's during a game. Going to a cage gets her speed, but all the balls are generally in one location.

So, how to help?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2009
Avoid the pitching machines except for bunting maybe.

Most all front toss is good. Pitch to her from behind a screen about 20 feet away. Anytime you are pitching front toss make sure she is able to time the pitches. She MUST be at toe touch with her bat all the way back on EVERY pitch. This is the position you swing from. If she tries to fudge a little because of a fast pitcher she will lose her speed on that pitch. Hands stay back until the hips fire and pull them into action.

Make sure there is no slow swing. IOW, if your pitch is slow, her swing should still be fast. No matter what the speed of the pitch the swing is still explosive.

Tons and tons of whatever front toss you are able to do. Every imperfect pitch you throw is a pitch she has to adjust to. That's a good thing.

I just worked with some TCB balls last night that I recently purchased (I knew I would). I stood about 20 feet away from a pretty strong hitter and was fairly safe; only had to catch a couple. Look into those, they're great.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
It sounds like she is trying to decide if she needs to swing and getting locked up in the decision process. Make sure your DD is stepping in the batters box knowing she is going to swing. She does this with machine/Tee/Soft toss, that is easy, there are no repercussions of missing, she is supposed to swing at everything. Make sure she has the mind set of swinging for every pitch. Then there is only 1 decision to make. That is to not swing. See the ball, if it is a bad pitch don't swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish