Foul Ball Play....Question....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
The other day I was watching some DIV III Ball on late night television and saw the following transpire.
Ball hit high and out to RF Foul Territory. It was between 1st baseman and RF'er. There was a runner on 3rd base. The defensive player ran over and made a play on the foul ball, catching it for an out. The 3rd baseman waited, tagged up, then ran home and slid in safely. The run was scored and the announcer made comments about how that was a smart base running. So my question it this (I feel like somehow I should've known this :p) Since the Defensive player caught the ball for the out, their possession of the ball prior to it hitting the ground in foul territory kept it live. If the ball had been dropped it would've been called foul making it a deadball situation and the the runner on third would've had to stay on third. Am I understanding and explaining this correctly?
Thanks

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes. If you are too far out to throw out runner on third, don't catch the foul ball.

Exactly correct given the game situation sometimes fielders chose to catch the ball other times they let it go. Usually a charging outfielder will make the play unless it is really deep but if its between RF and 1B and RF is running in she will make the play and throw home. The infielder chasing back is going to have a much harder play since they can't see the play in front of them and their momentum is carrying them the wrong way. However if the game is not too close and outs are needed some coaches would be OK with the out for a run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish