Foot position on 1st base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
DD was called for obstruction several times "by the same umpire" this weekend. I questioned the call and the only explanation I could get was that she had her foot too close to the corner of the bag not allowing the runner a clear path to inside corner. DD has played 1st base for 5 years and never had an obstruction call.
Where else would you possibly have your 1st baseman set up?

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Why would the runner need a clear path to the inside corner of the bag unless there was no play at first, in which case the first baseman probably shouldn't be standing there with her foot on the bag anyway?

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Why would the runner need a clear path to the inside corner of the bag unless there was no play at first, in which case the first baseman probably shouldn't be standing there with her foot on the bag anyway?

That was my first argument. If there was not a possible play at first then DD does not set up on the bag. I pointed this out to him after the first call. I asked him where he would like her to set up and he just said "Not there". I asked him if she had the right to the bag when making a defensive play and he said yes but she still needs to leave a clear path. I just shrugged my shoulders and walked off.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything. Luckily DD pitches more than she plays first base.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I read that wrong. It's not that she's positioned on the bag, with her foot too close to the corner, it's that she's standing too close to the bag when there's no play? I dunno, I've seen a few kids get run over that way.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I read that wrong. It's not that she's positioned on the bag, with her foot too close to the corner, it's that she's standing too close to the bag when there's no play? I dunno, I've seen a few kids get run over that way.

I can see that point.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I see an obstruction if the play is somewhere other than first and the first baseman is on the bag, but certainly not if its a "beat the throw play"
However its not uncommon to see a younger 1st baseman to have their foot on the bag and not on the side of it. But if your dd has played the position for five years its suggesting she's at least 12 or 14u so that's probably not your issue. Blue was asserting himself! :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Players are routinely taught to position themselves so that a runner will have to make a wide turn at 1B.

Sounds to me like his DD was being a little obvious in hanging around the base in order to impede the runners progress to the next base. She got caught...it happens.

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Players are routinely taught to position themselves so that a runner will have to make a wide turn at 1B.

Sounds to me like his DD was being a little obvious in hanging around the base in order to impede the runners progress to the next base. She got caught...it happens.

A very wise assumption. I watched her in practice today and sure enough she sets up to force the runner wide. Don't guess I have a leg to stand on. Score one for the guys in blue.
I asked her who taught her to set up like that and she said it was taught at a camp she attended last year. Yes, that was money well spent!! Ugggg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2013
A very wise assumption. I watched her in practice today and sure enough she sets up to force the runner wide. Don't guess I have a leg to stand on. Score one for the guys in blue.
I asked her who taught her to set up like that and she said it was taught at a camp she attended last year. Yes, that was money well spent!! Ugggg

Well, you don't know how many runners were obstructed before and caused to not get the extra base. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ArkFast, talk to your DD about adapting to the umpire.

Honestly, the first time she got caught, it was "one of those things"--no big deal, just a player trying to get an edge. But, she should have learned that that specific umpire was calling it close. She therefore should have changed what she was doing when that umpire was on the field.

It is a learning experience...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma