foot on plate when batting ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
no. I actually never, ever expect an umpire to "budge" on any call they make.
normally, I just mutter quietly to myself and move on, but in this instance I really wanted to hear what exactly his observations were.
A lefty batter, slap bunting on a pitch that was not thrown outside doesn't seem very conducive to this call.
His reply to my inquiry wasn't at all convincing, either.

What was conducive to this ruling was the point that the batter stepped on the plate which isn't difficult to see since it places the batter in the umpire's range of view.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Just speaking anecdotally I don't doubt very good umps like MTR and Comp can see this sort of thing easily, but I am also assuming OP is describing something close to slapper footwork executed very quickly.

So I would just add that it's very easy to spot the myriad of umps at the lower levels who try to watch closely for out of the box infractions on slappers, for whom it is not too easy: They are the ones where slappers can get base on balls at will because pitches are going right down the gut and the ump is busy looking down towards the batter's feet, seemingly never calling a strike on the batter.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just speaking anecdotally I don't doubt very good umps like MTR and Comp can see this sort of thing easily, but I am also assuming OP is describing something close to slapper footwork executed very quickly.

So I would just add that it's very easy to spot the myriad of umps at the lower levels who try to watch closely for out of the box infractions on slappers, for whom it is not too easy: They are the ones where slappers can get base on balls at will because pitches are going right down the gut and the ump is busy looking down towards the batter's feet, seemingly never calling a strike on the batter.

I really don't see that at all (in terms of umpires starting at feet) since primary is still strike/ball call on every pitch and stepping on the plate doesn't get called all that often.

I do see a lot of umpires who struggle with slappers because they find it hard to locate and call a consistent strike zone over the plate with the moving batter.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

It isn't that difficult since the batter's actions tip off the umpire. Remember, the umpire is set up with his/her inside ear aligned with the inside edge of the plate. That means the batter literally steps into the umpire's line of sight. Unless the pitch is high, the umpire is looking down following the ball. A foot or behind the plate isn't that hard to see. Out of the box in front of the plate not so easy unless it is so obvious it cannot be missed.

BTW, this is not a call for which a decent umpire looks. When it is called, it is usually obvious to all.

Feb 13, 2015
I probably need some schooling here, but isn't the plate irrelevant? The batter would be out for having a foot touch down completely out of the batters box, whether on the plate or anywhere else. Right? If a size 12 put her toe on the plate but heel still touching the box, shouldn't she be OK?

Jun 22, 2008
No, if any part of the batters foot is touching the plate at contact with the ball the batter is out.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I will add: if this is the call being made, is it not a dead ball foul, and all play should have been stopped? (at the time of infraction)
In this case, the call was not made until the batter was called safe at 1B by the field umpire;
which added to my confusion.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I will add: if this is the call being made, is it not a dead ball foul, and all play should have been stopped? (at the time of infraction)
In this case, the call was not made until the batter was called safe at 1B by the field umpire;

Yes, the call should be made immediately and the ball is dead at the time of the infraction.

It very well could be that the call was made immediately, but with coaches and spectators screaming at the batter to "Run....get there!" "First, First!" etc, etc......and all the attention focused on the ball and the runner, no body noticed the PU making the call until things calmed down......

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Yes, the call should be made immediately and the ball is dead at the time of the infraction.

It very well could be that the call was made immediately, but with coaches and spectators screaming at the batter to "Run....get there!" "First, First!" etc, etc......and all the attention focused on the ball and the runner, no body noticed the PU making the call until things calmed down......

This^^^ but in response to the cited post, it is not "foul". The batter is out if the bat makes any contact with the ball. All runners are returned to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Thank you MTR!!!!!!! If the foot contacts the plate before or during contact- batter is out and
everyone returns. I have umpired a lot of games and yes, this call is infrequent but also a big
fat YES on that it is very easy to see from the PU slot. Sorry it happened at a crucial moment but
judgement calls are exactly that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad