Focal Point

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
During this week's pitching lesson, PC pointed out that my DD is having problems maintaining her focal point when a batter switches to a bunting stance during the pitch. She noticed my DD's eyes move to the bat and as a result the pitch location became erratic. This doesn't happen when the batter is in the bunting stance prior to the pitch. Yesterday per advice from PC I borrowed a batter from the team and worked with her for about 20 minutes on this and could not get her to keep the focal point. This is a new area for me and any advice/suggestions/drills is appreciated.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Once the pitch has been selected, there is no longer any reason for the pitcher to focus on anything other than a point on the catcher. Ezample: Pitch selected is an inside drop, pitcher is focused only on the left knee of her catcher. Outside rise, the pitcher is focused only on the catchers' right shoulder. The pitcher should "see" nothing else, including what the batter is/isn't doing.

Mar 15, 2010
... Ezample: Pitch selected is an inside drop, pitcher is focused only on the left knee of her catcher. Outside rise, the pitcher is focused only on the catchers' right shoulder....

Thank you. Her PC mentioned something similar at the last lesson but it didn't click in my head. The way you explained clears up my confusion.

Oct 22, 2009
Try getting her catcher to flash some fingers in front of the glove during her delivery and ask her to try and see how many fingers are flashed.
She gets bonus points if she gets the # right and hits the mitt!

Mar 13, 2010
She shouldn't even be seeing the batter once the pitch starts. Her focal point should be on the catcher somewhere. The only reason to see the batter is to know when to pitch higher if they come around for the bunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves