Fly ball bobbled by player and caught by another on tag up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
it's not the catch but rather touching the ball that releases the baserunner - otherwise the outfielder could just juggle the ball all the way in and the runner could never leave the bag.

Too bad that strategic bobbling isn't allowed. It would be fun teaching the art of it. The volleyball players would have a natural advantage. We would need a model bobble thread.

Nov 3, 2012
Sounds like blue got the call correct. A runner may leave the bag as soon as the ball is first touched by a fielder.

After reading this, the ump did get it right. Im just not sure she ever went back to the bag to tag up. I guess in the context, thats a judgement call. Our team benefited from this. I think the girl on first base saw the bobble and took off to second. The defense thought they had a double play and walked over to 1st anticipating double play. It didn't have a big affect the game. Always learning something about the rules.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
After reading this, the ump did get it right. Im just not sure she ever went back to the bag to tag up. I guess in the context, thats a judgement call.

If the runner never went back and tagged up after the first touch, then the ump didn't get it right. I read your original post as 1) batter hits pop up, 2) runner on 1 takes a couple of steps off of 1, 3) 1B bobbles/drops pop up but ball is caught by 2B before hitting the ground, 4) runner runs to 2 on the bobble without first tagging up at 1. If that's correct, she should be out on appeal for leaving early.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG