Fist fight, Ames, Iowa. 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There were mug shots of the 3 offenders, but I didn't know how to copy them.

Ames police arrested three people at North River Valley Park Sunday night following the championship softball game for 12-year-old girls competing in the Iowa Games.

The Centerville Hot Shots had just beat the Nevada Cubs when according to police a Centerville parent got in an argument with the team’s coach over playing time.

Officers said 32-year-old Angela Sales, of Centerville, punched coach Todd Sebolt. The coach is also accused of punching Sales. Sales sister, 19-year-old Stephany Summers, was also arrested for punching Sebolt’s wife.

Jul 28, 2008
I wonder if they're going to come back next year.

iowa-games-brawl.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Some states have specific laws concerning assault on a sports official. Hopefully, this is one of those states. Those involved in incidents of this nature need to be made an example of. At the very least, they should be banned from all future sports events.

It's usually the parents, not the kids, that create the most problems in sports.

And kudos to the coach for defending himself.

May 7, 2008
Tucson

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
sister.jpg

This is the coach's sister. Nothing says "I support my team" more than Zebra print shorts. I like the pink dots...let's everyone know she is a lady.

Maybe there was alcohol involved.

Maybe there was mass stupidity involved...

Does anyone know why the coach was arrested?

Because he forgot his red nose and big shoes? The guy is obviously a clown...

Practically, in a situation where everyone acts idiotically, police will take statements from everyone, arrest everyone and then let the prosecuting attorney sort it all out. They have better things to do then mess around with these bozos.

Legally, if you are assaulted, you can respond with "reasonable force". If you respond with "unreasonable force", then you can be charged with assault as well. For example, if someone slaps you, you can't take a baseball bat and beat the crap out of him. Any time a guy hits a girl, the guy will be charged.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Wow, that slide show looks like any normal tournament, except with all the police in it. :) Can you see the diary entry of one of the other Centerville 12 YO players:

"Dear Diary,

Today our team won the championship game! Yay! There was some trouble though. After the game, Tiffany's mom was complaining to Coach Todd due to Tiff's playing time. (Tiffnay does kinda suck by the way). Coach told her to be quiet because it was time to celebrate. Tiffany's mom got so mad that Coach Todd was ignoring her, she punched coach in the melon! Well, coach got really mad at that point and punched Tiffany's mom back in the side of the head knocking her out cold. This annoyed Tiffany's Aunt who then went and punched coaches wife! After the police took everyone away, we lined up and took photos with our trophy. The trophy was really big."

In all seriousness though, how embarassing some of these folks are going to feel when this all settles. And think about this kid's chances of getting on another team, you're now forever "The kid who's mom punched that one head coach in 2011". That's taking crazy to a whole other level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red