First year 14U -How to pick a team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
So many variables. Does she want to play in college? Can you travel? Will she pitch to much? Will she pitch to little? and so on.

My DD at the 12U level could pitch for most TB teams but wasn't good enough to hit at the highest level. She is 15 now and only 5.3. At 16U she doesn't throw hard enough to compete at the highest level but is starting to hit at a very high level. We stayed with good but not great teams so she could hit.

Jul 31, 2015
So my daughter's current team did not make, so we have to find a new team...

My daughter is struggling with what she wants, does she pick a team that is playing at a lower level but she will get plenty of play time (on the mound and different positions)? The coaches are nice but the structure, discipline, drills are not what she is accustomed to. She wants to prepare for High School.

Or does she go to a higher level team? There will be a larger roster and playing time will probably be limited especially at first. But the practices are run very well.

She is a pitcher so feel like game time is essential for that reason but she she really wants to increase her other skills and learn other positions, she mainly played first base before.

Thanks for any input/experience!

Being the best player on a team, learning to work alongside and inspire others who may not be as motivated or serious, and becoming a leader is a skill unto itself.

Playing time is the most important.

You could also ask around and see if she could guest play on some higher level teams during off weekends.

Best of luck.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Simple in concept...find the best run team where she has a chance to play regularly...sometimes hard in execution.

Does the lower-level team compete well, or does it get beat up? If your ONLY choices are the bad lower-level team where she plays all the time and a good high-level team where she's on the bench, I might choose the higher-level team. While I wouldn't stay long if she was riding the bench, if she's getting better at the well-run practices, I might accept that in the short-term until the better playing opportunity with a decent team comes along.

Jun 8, 2016
From what I have seen, and what I am currently experiencing, first year 14's is a weird year (14's in general). This is when many kids/parents start questioning/thinking about how serious they are about the sport and the team dynamic (or more likely, the parent dynamic) can get weird when you have parents pulling in different directions. Which direction that pull goes, and what side you end up on, typically depends on what the coach wants to do...

Jan 28, 2020
So many variables. Does she want to play in college? Can you travel? Will she pitch to much? Will she pitch to little? and so on.

My DD at the 12U level could pitch for most TB teams but wasn't good enough to hit at the highest level. She is 15 now and only 5.3. At 16U she doesn't throw hard enough to compete at the highest level but is starting to hit at a very high level. We stayed with good but not great teams so she could hit.
Agree, and she does want to continue playing especially in High School but not sure about college. College ball was a goal before but do all 13 year olds know what they want, seems to change...lol! I know some girls are dead set on college ball but that is not my daughter's #1 goal!

Oct 4, 2018
Agree, it is that middle ground (her level) we are looking for but haven't found yet. We are late to tryouts here and most teams are already formed. Also, I think she will get mound time regardless but she really wants to be better at other positions an not just sit if not pitching.

Quite honestly, she'll get more opportunity at other positions (especially if they're new to her) with the lower-level team than the higher-level, I would think. You can't join a solid 14U team and get many reps at SS if they have their player(s) at that position.

Oct 4, 2018
... and another reminder to always have a bead on other teams in your area, get to know the coaches, pick-up when you can...

It stinks when your team doesn't make. If and when you see that coming, have your Plan B ready if possible.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't know why you would go somewhere she doesn't get to pitch quite often. Too often parents are worried about 2-3-4 years down the line but she started playing this game because she enjoys it. At this age getting more circle time is a big deal assuming we aren't talking playing for a rec team.

Feb 28, 2022
Simple in concept...find the best run team where she has a chance to play regularly...sometimes hard in execution.

Does the lower-level team compete well, or does it get beat up? If your ONLY choices are the bad lower-level team where she plays all the time and a good high-level team where she's on the bench, I might choose the higher-level team. While I wouldn't stay long if she was riding the bench, if she's getting better at the well-run practices, I might accept that in the short-term until the better playing opportunity with a decent team comes along.
This is so helpful to a situation I'm in. Thanks for posting this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi