First year 14U -How to pick a team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2020
So my daughter's current team did not make, so we have to find a new team...

My daughter is struggling with what she wants, does she pick a team that is playing at a lower level but she will get plenty of play time (on the mound and different positions)? The coaches are nice but the structure, discipline, drills are not what she is accustomed to. She wants to prepare for High School.

Or does she go to a higher level team? There will be a larger roster and playing time will probably be limited especially at first. But the practices are run very well.

She is a pitcher so feel like game time is essential for that reason but she she really wants to increase her other skills and learn other positions, she mainly played first base before.

Thanks for any input/experience!

May 17, 2012
Going to double down on this. Specifically ask any new coach how your daughter fits in on the team. Is she the #1 pitcher, the # 2 pitcher, etc. Ask specifically about pitchers and catchers playing other positions.

Don't accept vague answers like, "playing time is earned", "we like to play everyone", etc.

When your expectations meet the coaches expectations you have found your team.

Jan 28, 2020
1. Playing Time
2. Playing Time
3. Playing Time.
4. Everything Else.
I agree, especially for a pitcher, but she is worried that she will end up getting disappointed. She is a pitcher that produces pop ups and soft contact, so when your team can't back you up (not saying they can't, just as an example) it gets frustrating after a while.

May 1, 2018
While I agree with Playing time.... you have to be realistic with where she is. Is she is leaps and bounds above her team, she will get frustrated.
If she is below her team she won't get mound time.

Jan 28, 2020
While I agree with Playing time.... you have to be realistic with where she is. Is she is leaps and bounds above her team, she will get frustrated.
If she is below her team she won't get mound time.
Agree, it is that middle ground (her level) we are looking for but haven't found yet. We are late to tryouts here and most teams are already formed. Also, I think she will get mound time regardless but she really wants to be better at other positions an not just sit if not pitching.

Sep 7, 2020
When my daughter was looking and asked where she plays I taught her to say "I play softball coach, where ever you need me. I prefer 1st and I pitch but I will go anywhere." She always gets a sorta sideways look but they usually figure it out after a couple minutes. She is by no means the best on most fields or the worst but has an incredible desire to play and that shows through. She picked her current team after spending one practice with them, and she chose well. First year 14U this season.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
How about a team where she has to compete for a playing position , one where she will learn how to play the game, maybe at a higher level. One where she will learn discipline and how to play in a TEAM first environment.

Putting her on a team where playing time is your main concern could be a great situation if she is happy at her current playing level, and has no problem being a C or B level player when she get to high school, where she may not get playing time. Seen many girls who start on there travel or summer their whole softball career, and when the get to HS, reality sets in, and they sit on the bench.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
If she wasn’t a pitcher this is a really easy answer. Move up. At some point she’s going to get bored if she’s truly leading the pack but is competitive.

We were in this very position just last year. We decided to move DD up to a more competitive program. It was the right decision for her. She now competes for circle time in both school ball and travel ball. She was primarily P and 1B on her prior C-level team but now is expected to know P, 1B, 2B, & 3B. And has been occasionally thrown into the OF.

If you think your DD can eventually earn the circle time at a higher level then put her there. She’ll grow more there than at the lower level.

Yes, circle time is what you want. But if she wants to grow she needs to see better hitting and get better fielding. And if they will teach her other positions then go for it.

As a parent you have to be okay seeing her fail. Your job is to be there when she does and help her get back up.

Jan 28, 2020
How about a team where she has to compete for a playing position , one where she will learn how to play the game, maybe at a higher level. One where she will learn discipline and how to play in a TEAM first environment.

Putting her on a team where playing time is your main concern could be a great situation if she is happy at her current playing level, and has no problem being a C or B level player when she get to high school, where she may not get playing time. Seen many girls who start on there travel or summer their whole softball career, and when the get to HS, reality sets in, and they sit on the bench.
She has always had to compete for playing time and rarely complained about that, she wants to be challenged and has been. It is just unfortunate the situation, where most teams are already formed and she is confused where she fits in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi