First practice with our new team last night

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
We just finished up our first year of travel ball, 8U. My daughter's played with the same coach since she started rec ball 6U at age 5. We decided to make a change this year for 10U. Nothing against our coach - he's a great guy. But we wanted to get her onto a team where the other girls play more on her level, so she can actually develop more as a player. We got onto the team we wanted, and last night was our first practice. I was pretty nervous because it's a new team. A level, but new. So it's hard to say how it's really going to be, as a start up (for an existing organization).

It was a really good practice! We have some talented girls. My daughter is no longer a stand out; she fits in instead. This is what we were going for. I'm feeling really excited about this season. The coach is very positive, but worked them hard doing the kind of drills we tried to get our old team to do all year. My hubby got to help out (he's hoping to AC again) and I just thought especially for a first practice it went really well. Girls are sweet and motivated and seemed to have a really good time. We have our first tournament in September so we'll get to see how they play in a game situation then.

I don't care about winning so much. But it'll be awesome to be on a team where all the girls can throw the ball TO a person instead of over her head, and where hopefully very few balls will roll between someone's feet instead of about half of them doing that. ;)

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
That's great that your DD is on a team she wants to be on. Hopefully she gets challenged and continues to improve. At least you got that first day jitters out of the way.

DD has her first Official "Team" practice this Saturday. DD is new to TB so there is a lot of excitement over her first practice we will see how it goes.

Jun 12, 2015
We had lots of fun our first year and learned a bunch. Including some what not to do stuff, haha. Enjoy!

May 16, 2014
I wholeheartedly agree with moving to get your DD onto a team with girls who will challenge her. I coach my youngest and did it a different way. We are 8U and I picked up a couple of really good players this season. This will be the first time my DD is truly challenged by several skilled player that way and I'm so excited. We should have an infield where every player has a chance to make a play and that is such a luxury.

There is a lot to be said for having the possibility of success.

Good luck on your season.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
Challenging them is very important. You will find everyone wants the bigger girls at 8u,10u, some 11u and they don't have to work very hard to hit well and throw hard. Then all of the sudden in 12u the smaller players who have had to work hard show up and they have developed work ethic and can adjust faster. DD is petite and was an above average 10u player We went to a new team at 11u. Cried the whole way home from the first practice. "I'm the worst kid on the team" ( she wasn't but that's how girls think) but I just said "well, do something about it" and she did. Something has to drive them besides mom and dad.

Jun 12, 2015
Yes, I agree! Mine wants to pitch, has been in lessons since Jan and is pretty good. If we'd stuck with our original plan she'd almost certainly be #1 pitcher. But on this team there are 2 experienced pitchers. She knows she has to work hard to get pitching time. It's good for her to have a motivation besides dad and me. She'll have to work for her favorite non-pitching position too (SS). She's very used to being the strongest player on her team at this point - it's going to be really good for her to have a challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516