First College Visit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD is going on her first college visit next week, and she is very excited/nervous. It is a small D2 school about 6-7 hours away. She REALLY likes the coach (met him twice already at showcases last Fall), and so far, likes what she has seen/heard about the school. So...what can she expect? Does she do the visit solo or can I tag along? All of the formal questions have already been squared away via phone calls and emails, so this is opportunity for the coach to show off the school and their program. One thing he already told her was to bring her equipment and be ready to bring her "A" game. :) Oh and she wants to visit the Dean of Science (she will be Biology/pre-med major) to talk about his department and statistics of premed students.

This is pretty exciting. :)

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
maksoftball, congratulations to you and you DD. I hope everything goes well! I always tagged along during the visit/tour with the coaches, but I made sure I stayed in the background and only spoke when asked. One thing I wish I did better was prepare my DD to discuss her athletic goals while at college. I hammered home the academic goals, but never prepped her that the coach would ask about her softball goals specifically (who'd of thunk, right?). She did fine after a couple of nervous "ums", but I wish I had gone over some things prior. Also, one thing that my DD did throughout all her college tours was keep a journal detailing all her observations about the college, campus, kids on campus, food, housing, surrounding area, etc. As we would drive home from a particular college, she would make a list of pros and cons for each school. This information was invaluable as she began to narrow her college list down. We'd also come up with some questions to ask the admissions folks, the person giving the tour, and the coaches while we were meeting with them. I'll PM that file...nothing special, but may get you to think of some questions you'd like to address. Again, congrats and I hope all goes well!

Sep 28, 2015
Congrats!!! I tagged along too. I think the coach wants you to be there - to listen but thy will direct all the questions at your dd. We talked through a lot of stuff before she went up too. Tell her to relax and be herself. I'm sure that's what gotten her noticed already! Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2011
Maks,

You absolutely go.

First, have a clear understanding Academic, social/living, athletic Systems that are in place to ensure your daughter can be successful. They are equally important. Every school is different and you never know unless you ask.

I've been on my fair share of visits and the only thing that was constant is that every single visit was different.

Before students take off for the first couple of visits I burn this line of questioning into their brains.

---Do you have a specific counselor assigned to monitor the team academically and to help with credit planning? which coach keeps track of the student's academics and eligibility?

Are there any majors not encouraged due to the time constraints or scheduling?

What is the current GPA of the team.

Do you have any current members of the team that are studying my area of interest. ( if yes, that's a person that you and your DD Might consider having a private conversation with and see what the realities are)

When traveling, are there structured study times available, tutors, RA's or are we on our own? If not how do I make up that work?

Do student athletes receive preferential assignment of classes?

What is a typical process for injury recovery? Is there a specific trainer assigned to the team?(another conversation)

What type of pre-and post season workouts do you require? Do you have a copy of last year's training regiment that I could look at?

Which specific coach is in charge of my position/hitting? (Another conversation)

How do you see me on this team?

If I could be better at one thing before I come to your college/University- what would it be?

How many other student athletes are you looking at at my position and year?"

The list is endless but I hope there are a couple in there that help.

Ultimately- when the coach walks away from your visit, the first thing you need to ask your kid is "if softball was not in the equation could you see yourself here for four years?"

Make sure you hold conversations with players, and not just the best players. All of them.

You will find out a lot more information by visiting the mail room rather than just taking the CEOs word for it..

Last, parents and kids go to different schools for different reasons. The process is exciting and initially can be overwhelming. Just remember the business of why you are there. Don't come home with a glamour shot of DD in next year's uniform and blow off a meeting with the admissions department.(yes I know somebody who did that)

And especially now, keep anything that would be perceived as detrimental to your next school visit off of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, --bragging parents can shoot their kid in the foot and they never know it. The next school just goes away. Humility is a highly underrated asset.

Relax and have fun. Be straightforward. Make sure you get an equal and realistic dose of each aspect I mentioned above.

I hope that helps
Good luck
L

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Go along, listen and make notes when necessary-Remember, as bad as you want to insert your $.02
it is her visit, she is the recruit and the only one the coach is interested in. You will have an opportunity
for questions at the end of the visit. Enjoy the ride! For me it was a fulfilling experience observing
my DD express herself to coaches/administrators. Congrats and good luck

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Go along, listen and make notes when necessary-Remember, as bad as you want to insert your $.02
it is her visit, she is the recruit and the only one the coach is interested in. You will have an opportunity
for questions at the end of the visit. Enjoy the ride! For me it was a fulfilling experience observing
my DD express herself to coaches/administrators. Congrats and good luck

The smart coaches make sure that the parents are satisfied that their DD will be well looked after regardless of their production or playing time. And the really smart coaches make sure to avoid players with parents who will be a problem if DD's playing time is more limited than they think it should be. Which all means that a coach needs to have enough interest in the parents to determine this in advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1