First attempt at the push back drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
DD and I spent some quality time viewing Java's video drill and took our first crack at performing it - main focus for her was footwork first, then understanding overlap and implementing it and finally the striking quick push. We didn't spend much time on what the stride leg does yet or any arms as she didn't even have a ball in hand. Any critiques are welcome. I know there is definitely room for improvement.[video]https://www.coachseye.com/v/aMQK[/video]

kind of got it to work from what I saw from the beginning never did get it to work all the way through, but from what I saw her form looks pretty good for her leap and motion, but I thought I saw her stepping back off the rubber? and I saw a crow hop? those are 2 very big issues that need to be corrected especially the crow hop. again im no expert.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
MN
kind of got it to work from what I saw from the beginning never did get it to work all the way through, but from what I saw her form looks pretty good for her leap and motion, but I thought I saw her stepping back off the rubber? and I saw a crow hop? those are 2 very big issues that need to be corrected especially the crow hop. again im no expert.
Yes she is supposed to take a big step off the rubber. It is part of the drill. For those that know this drill I'm looking for feedback on footwork and overlap specifically.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
As far as the push-back drill part is concerned... I really like how forward-leaning she gets as she pushes off of the plate, along with getting the hips moving forward before the end of the baskswing. Also, I like how her right foot pulls away from the plate her throwing arm goes through 3:00 out front. I'm sure Java will comment on the push-back drill aspects of this clip once he can view the clip.

The bend in her arm starting down the back side from overhead seems to be just a bit forced/stiff, in my opinion. Further, I think she needs to get taller (better upright) posture upon and after landing (seems to be collapsing downward through release). I think the push-back drill is a great place to also work on connection through the torso, hips, and such.

It would be great to also show her full pitching motion using a ball from the other side. Sure, doing the push-back drill.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
MN
Thanks Shaker it's going to be a work in progress. Thanks Doug for the look - she has very little drive in her regular pitch so this is all feeling very new, especially the weight transfer as she was basically bearing all of her weight on her drive foot during the back swing creating that long gradual push, which was basically a big step. During this drill she didn't focus much on anything after the push, but I see what your saying about the arm. Java I can't seem to get the video to export to YouTube. Our wifi is wacked but I will try again tomorrow.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm sure she's very explosive in regular speed and I think that's what Java will want to see. I know she wasn't focusing on the arm but, if she was to do that 100 times then I'm sure that would ingrain a bad habit. So, if she's not going to use a ball, I would at least recommend she performs the drill as she was going to actually throw the ball correctly.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
I'm sure she's very explosive in regular speed and I think that's what Java will want to see. I know she wasn't focusing on the arm but, if she was to do that 100 times then I'm sure that would ingrain a bad habit. So, if she's not going to use a ball, I would at least recommend she performs the drill as she was going to actually throw the ball correctly.
That's a good point - I certainly don't want the rest of her motion to fall apart. As she gets more comfortable with the footwork we will put a ball in her hand. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd