Finding players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2013
Hey guys thought I would start a thread on what tools u use to find players or how u go about it?

I've been doing this for 3 years and I have yet find a real good way to find players. I have used Facebook, Little league and word of mouth. While I also get lucky every once and while nothing seems to work better then the other.

Right now I have 9 roster players and 1 sub but I really need to find 1-2 to add to the roster.
So any suggestions?

Thanks

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For So Cal travel ball, HeyBucket.com is pretty much the epicenter for player and team announcements (tryouts, friendlies, tournaments).

Scouting. You have to put some time into it, too.

Go to games of the age groups you're looking at. I am not sure of your situation or where you're located but if you were, for example, a 12U team playing "B" ball I would be going to 12U games at tournaments and looking for girls who are on teams that have to age up but they still have another year left at 12U. Also, look at 10U teams with girls who have to age up but with whose coach might be staying down.

Of course, this does you no good unless you did it last year. :)

Right now, it is pretty hard to get girls without being a poacher (Don't do it! Poachers and cheaters are the lowest form of life!) or without raiding the rec leagues (which is probably not the best way to find good players, but you could get lucky). If you decide to look at the rec leagues, go to their tryouts (or whatever they call them) and go to games and look for players who appear as though they might be able to make the jump. Then, talk 'em up, schmooze 'em a bit and invite them to a practice. Put your best foot forward during that practice and make sure your girls are working on drills they know and do very well. Remember, you're trying to impress these people!

Then, if you find a girl who looks promising, make her an offer and try to be as happy about it as you can possibly be. The girl will feel better about leaving her friends and comfortable rec team if she knows she's wanted.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Networking is another good avenue.

Make an effort to be friendly to other coaches and parents, meet people, have a good reputation (not just as a coach, but just a pleasant person to talk with).

Many new players come from people that you, your coaches, parents or players know and then attract to the team. Harder to get players to join a team where they don't know anybody and have no feelings about.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Local boards...Heybucket for Ca. 43 feet in Arizona....Georgia's lunatic corner...etc. wherever there is softball there is a local forum for this stuff. If that fails then chloroform and a windowless van.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I guess it varies by state. Tennessee Fastpitch Players Group on FB is the go to site for TN. If you enjoy GCC, you should check out Fastpitch Talk on Boardhost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard