Finally got a video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
For once I as able to remeber to take a video. Can you let me know what you think we should work on next. Currently we are working on getting rid of the glove slap.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Hello Doublesteal

A recommendation….It is always best to have video from the side and from behind..rather than angled. It helps to see more.

You already know that most believe the over the head pre motion is doing nothing…so I will not mention it. (smiley)

Its great that you have a powerline and mound.

--- Some things to consider
pitchingdoublestealddlaunch.gif

1. She turns her pivot foot WAY out during her launch phase. She does it while loading too…so her weight has to be staying more on the left leg. She is losing a lot of push off power here.
---
pitchingdoublestealddreach.gif

2. At the beginning of this clip…Reach phase (ball at catcher, 9 o'clock on my clock, pitcher perspective)…it looks like she is not extended at the rear leg….she has the ball in reach position and her front leg is extended.

Look at Finch's pattern below…its opposite…her rear leg is extended before the front leg.

Second pause…as her stride (front foot) lands..ball looks to be near 12 o'clock..rather than 3 o'clock (behind her). Timing is off…there are quite a few frames in this video where the ball doesn't move much frame to frame.
Third pause (end of clip)…she opens her upper body…. after her foot is down.

---
pitchingdoublestealddmomentum.gif

3. imo..she does a pretty good job at spine/hip posture…. up until release…then she bends. After that….all momentum keeps going forward.

You might consider something along the lines of the following.
Regular warm ups and include plyometric bounding…but keep head level rather than bouncing up and down. Make sure she gets front knee up while bounding and straightens the rear leg. Sometimes it helps to have them touch the opposite elbow to the knee when it comes up.

After over hand throwing, 3 o'clock warmups, 12 o'clock warmups (whatever your routine is)… I would put a noodle in front of her and a whiffle ball in her hand. We would do the below until she progressed on it and had some dynamic control of it.
In doors and away from the circle we use a the hitting pod to push off of…to build a more explosive push off.

pitchingjenniefinchleapdrag.gif

1. Launch…Pivot foot straight…weight shift onto that pivot foot…strong explosive push off. I would mark her current stride foot location (where it lands) and mark an area 4-6 inches more out to get more leap to increase distance.

On the push off ….explode with the rear leg….. so it extends before the front leg fully extends. Then the front leg thrust… will give extra momentum to go into opening and stretch.

As soon as you thrust the front leg…your going to an open/drag (thanks ken) position.
Get open….then stick the landing…stop forward movement once foot lands. Keep that good spine posture at release that she has during the rest of the movements.

Working the lower body for leap and drag is very taxing..keep the reps low at first with more sets…and rest between sets and build it up. I can't recall a time my dd said…my arm is tired…but I can recall times after pitching multiple games...…her saying my legs are tired. I always took that as a positive thing. Work that lower body good in off season.

This is just my opinion. Hope that helps. Something tells me when she learns LD…she will be a barn burner…Good luck!

Apr 25, 2010
It also appears she stops her hand at/shortly after release. I would say it would be very difficult to get a good spin off the fingertips by stopping that way. A nice long fluid follow through would help greatly with this.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Weak frontside causing nose over toes. Can't tell for sure but rear foot may be coming off the ground stride foot should be at least a 45 to the power line appears to be way less?

Oct 1, 2012
A couple of things IMHO....

1. Her timing seems to be off just a bit...it could be the film and hard to tell with out super slowmo but bobbyb broke it down nicely in the second clip of her pitching--- at stride foot impact the ball looks to be at 12 o clock...there is lots of energy being leaked at this point. If she can get that timed a bit closer to a 9-10 oclock/foot impact and with the focus being on good elbow lead/arm whip acceleration I think you'll see her "fluidity" look much better.

2. More legs! I would focus on reducing the overhead premotion and getting some good forward lean and knee bend. Drive and drag or leap and drag which ever you prefer.

3. The glove swim thing....tough one but like anything else if she really wants to improve all it takes is work.

Have fun and enjoy!! Thanks for ready my 2 cents!

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Can't tell for sure but it looks like in the 3rd pause that she faces the ball back toward 2nd base. Does she get behind the ball? Is this a change up?

Timing as everyone mentioned seems to be the key she is closed all the way past 12 oclock when foot touches then opens quickly at maybe 1 or 2 I think this is the biggest thing that would show improvement bob broke it down really well.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
001Gab Feb 5th - YouTube

Hi guys been a while since I could get a video with all the sickness going on aound here. We spent sometime working on eliminating the extra pre-motion. And starting working on fixing the complete turn of the drag foot. Know she needs a lot more workbut she is willing to put it in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG