Filming and sharing video - music copyright issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
UPDATE: So YouTube gave the option for just the song that was copyrighted to be muted - and it worked!

Hi - I just uploaded my daughter's team's high school game from last night and because there is music played at the field, I got a message saying it was infringing on copyright policy. How can I be responsible for something that's played by others that are in the area. Last night I recorded it to my SD card and downloaded it to YouTube. I want to start broadcasting the games. Is there a way around this copyright issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
Happened to me a lot! Depending on the type of copywrite the song may or may not be included in your video on YouTube. About 90% of the songs are allowed to be in the background they just attach a paragraph to the title of your video stating who owns the copywrite. On the other 10% of cases the song is prohibited from being played at all in the background in those cases all audio will be automatically muted by Youtube. It does stink as it's all in the background and you have no control over it all.

Apr 28, 2014
Forgot to mention that Walk Up songs are the worst! You could have 10 songs that are fine to play but the 11th is no bueno and the whole video will be muted by YouTube.

Jul 14, 2018
There is nothing you can do if you’re live streaming to YouTube. As soon as some protected music comes on, the stream will shut down. Maybe as more teams get into streaming and run into this problem, there will be less music played during games.

As for pre-recorded games that you just want to upload, you can mute the sound during music only on your computer before uploading, or use YouTube Studio to edit online. If you’re using studio, I think you have to upload as a private video, make your edits, and then change to public. That used to work, not sure if it still does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Yep!

6 years of travel with about 65 games per season. HS 2 years with 24 per year. Adds up :)
If I need to be videoing and uploading 400+ games for my kid to play in college well then I guess she isn't going to be playing in college...I can barely watch the games.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi