Fielder position for catching throw down to second

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
First I want to thank Ken for opening up this forum, which I believe will really add to overall discussion and knowledge. Having said that, I would like to hear how coaches work with their SS to cover second base on a steal attempt. Move to base, pre positioning in anticipation, foot placement, tag, etc.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
First I want to thank Ken for opening up this forum, which I believe will really add to overall discussion and knowledge. Having said that, I would like to hear how coaches work with their SS to cover second base on a steal attempt. Move to base, pre positioning in anticipation, foot placement, tag, etc.

Totally agree, glad to see a fielding / defensive section added. To the question, I move my SS a couple of steps towards 2nd base and one step deeper to get a better look at the runner and angle to the base. On positioning at the bag, it depends on the strength and ability of the catcher. If she is lacking in arm strength then I have may catcher my catcher position with left foot in front of the bag but if she has a gun then I'll have her straddle it. I stress dropping the glove in front of the bag and let the runner tag themselves out.

Nov 7, 2014
Just have the catcher stand in front of the plate, pitcher in front of circle and fire the ball back to pitcher.
Do not play games with runners. Both pitcher and catcher should be alert and be ready if runner breaks for home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish