Feels like spring!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Here at the tip of Lake Superior the last few days have felt like spring and it makes me want to get outside and practice. Along those lines, when does High School ball start in your city, town or village? We don't get going until early March and it is indoors until April.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Here at the tip of Lake Superior the last few days have felt like spring and it makes me want to get outside and practice. Along those lines, when does High School ball start in your city, town or village? We don't get going until early March and it is indoors until April.
This has definately been an odd winter in the mid west. We live in So. IL and have enjoyed some really nice sunny mid fiftees days. So we've been able to avoid the cramped garage. I wish it would hold out, but prolly won't. Our biggest hinderance here in the early spring is rain more than cold.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
Sunny and 60 here today, in Des Moines. Iowa is actually one of the last states that plays its HS ball in the summertime. Our "unofficial" spring-ball practices will start in March, but the Varsity coaches cannot participate until early May; with games starting mid-to-late May, and running thru mid-July.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Pizza-boy01,

So your high school games go into the summer? Ours have to be done when school is out and that makes for a very short season. Last year the varsity only got 11 games in for the season because of rain and wind off the big pond (Lake Superior). We would be better off with a fall high school season.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
Yeah, it really messes with TB scheduling; not to mention summer vacations, part-time jobs, or just going to the pool. Last year, they shortened our season by a couple weeks. Prior to that, if you were lucky enough to have competed at the State Tourney, you would have about two weeks of summer break left, before classes started back up.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Can the girls do both? Play HS ball and TB? Up here we play 50 games in TB (League games and tournaments) and are lucky to get 12-14 games in at HS.

I guess the grass is not always greener...TB is done in late July and we have all of August off before school starts.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Can the girls do both? Play HS ball and TB? Up here we play 50 games in TB (League games and tournaments) and are lucky to get 12-14 games in at HS.

I guess the grass is not always greener...TB is done in late July and we have all of August off before school starts.

Girls in Iowa can play both, but not at the same time. Hs games starting about May25, that takes out May-July for travel ball. I can't help but think that is why we have a very small % of girls going to out of state d1 colleges.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Why does HS ball start so late? You are 100's of miles south and we TRY to have games in April (40 degrees and cold wind off of Lake Superior).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi