Feedback on catcher's mitts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2011
Eric, have you decided on a glove? My DD used an Easton mitt over the last half of the season, but I think we might give the the GSX57 a try.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Aug 2, 2011
Dang, that looks pretty nice and the 33" assuages some of my fears about the larger 34" size. I am curious how the break-in is. Last time we left off Eric, I went with a Easton SYFP2000 mostly because of the 33" size. Well, we aren't that happy with it after half of last season and fall ball. The ball just doesn't seem to WANT to stick in it like it did in her GXS101. It seems to take more effort just to hold it in the glove. One of the posts in this thread by The Project mentions stiff laces, and I think that is exactly the problem with the Easton. No matter how much conditioner I put on it it still is hard to close. When I look at the pocket it is lined with THICK laces on all sides. I like the open pockets of the Mizuno, the Liberty and the Akadema. I might have to check it out! You would make a good rep! Thanks!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I just got this yesterday...

Akadema AAR 64 - 33" fastpitch catcher's mitt
4D54A65D-7522-45F9-B016-D857202DC633_zpsbiddozxc.jpg

27F9E803-E0B9-4798-9ECC-2032E4DAE976_zpsvfp16s3g.jpg

FA1CBD1A-5946-4D1F-8E46-C6D6C4BB3958_zpsqn8nl97a.jpg

My first impressions...
The quality of materials and finish of the mitt is excellent. The lighter colored leather is VERY nice. As others have noted about the sizing of Akadema's catcher's mitts, the 33" size is - in appearance - comparable to a 34" by Mizuno. The weight of the mitt is a bit more than an ounce lighter than my DD's current Miz GXS92. The palm and finger padding of the Akadema is also very comparable to the Miz 92, and because of that, there may be some hand sting on pitches not caught in the pocket with faster pitchers. The thumb padding, however, is excellent and definitely a step up from the Miz 92. My favorite feature of this mitt is the additional finger-slings for the middle and ring fingers, which give a feeling of excellent control. I'm not aware of another mitt with this feature. Right out of the bag, the mitt closes with only moderate effort, and should break in to game-ready condition very quickly. Overall, I like this mitt a lot. If you're looking for the ultimate in hand protection, this isn't the one for you (Vinci is the call for that), but this will do a very good job for a lot of young catchers.

Once we are done with our Fall season in another 2 weeks, I will have my 10yo DD start working with the Akadema mitt, and I will provide some additional feedback from her experience with it in action.

On a side note, I got an Akadema AMR 34 glove for myself to evaluate. Holy cow! This is a lovely piece of gear. :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for the info, Eric F.

So it sounds like the Akadema is not really a true step up in terms of padding from the GXS92 ... which my daughter is also still using. So, I'm curious where this leaves you/her in your search because, selfishly, I'm in the same situation and don't have any retailers near by where DD and I can go to try a bunch on.

DD has has small and not terribly strong hands. The break in time and the "drops" I've heard about from the Vinci have me skeptical.

Since it sounds like we're in the same boat .. what else are you looking at?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We have the AAR 64, and the plan is to move forward with it and see how it goes. For now, my search for something else is on hold. My DD is starting to do some practice sessions with the Akadema, but has not used it in a game. She likes the way it feels on her hand, but she hasn't caught any significant speed yet.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06