Feedback on catcher's mitts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So far, there haven't been a ton of hands-on options to test, but I have yet to make the pilgrimage to the big retailer (Monkey Sports).

moe

Aug 14, 2013
untitled (2).jpg

We went with a Combat. Got it at a great price. Right shape, tough. Downside, the leather seems to absorb the dirt really well causing, what I think are too many pop outs. DD is a new catcher. We broke it in the old fashioned way, nothing fancy. Just pure lanolin and playing catch. Clearance <75.

Aug 28, 2013
Eric, you need this glove (well, your DD anyway ;) ):

Worth Liberty Advanced Series Lacmwn 34" RHT Fastpitch Catcher's Mitt | eBay

From some of your action poses it would look to match your DD's team colors. Throw some custom laces in this bad boy and it would look sweet! But, I like to stand out a bit and not use the "in" equipment all the time I guess. That and I have a self admitted GAS problem :D.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with whoever is selling that on eBay, just happened upon it and thought it was a good looking glove.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, you need this glove (well, your DD anyway ;) ):

Worth Liberty Advanced Series Lacmwn 34" RHT Fastpitch Catcher's Mitt | eBay

From some of your action poses it would look to match your DD's team colors. Throw some custom laces in this bad boy and it would look sweet! But, I like to stand out a bit and not use the "in" equipment all the time I guess. That and I have a self admitted GAS problem :D.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with whoever is selling that on eBay, just happened upon it and thought it was a good looking glove.

It's on my radar ;)

What else can you tell me about it? How is the palm padding?

Aug 28, 2013
Palm padding is excellent, not as thick as the Vinci but not thin enough to sting if your DD happens to catch one in the wrong spot. The #1 thing I like about the Liberty advanced is the dual strap tightening system as opposed to the large one strap velcro closure (like what's on your DD's Vinci and my DD's Liberty). Most of the problems when catchers (one's with smaller hands) complain of their fairly well broken in glove being hard to close is due to this strap being pulled so tight that it tightens the laces in the hinge area, I'm guessing that if you loosened your Vinci up it's probably much easier to close - but, too big for your DD's hand also. The catchers mitts with the 2 leather straps tend to not do this, the tightness is a little more customizable.

Just as a side note I've re-laced hundreds of gloves over the years and too-tight laces, along with crappy synthetic laces or ones too thick, can cause a glove to feel not broken in. Most times they're one of the last things to get soft when breaking in a new glove. Every time I give a glove back to an owner I always tell them they might want to give it a bit to get re-broken in.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm aware of the too-tight strap issue. The method I use (I think I got this from Chaz) is to close the mitt, and then set the strap tension.

I will take a closer look at the Liberty Advanced.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Eric, this was Bill Hillhouse's reply to my query.

Copied and pasted verbatim.

Hey *****,

I use the APM66... but I have also used the AEA 65. Both are quality and made for Fastpitch catching.

I find they hold up EXTREMELY well. Given that I catch 1000's of pitches per week, I am sure it'd last a young catcher a long time.

I take them right out of the bag they come in and use them. They are almost broke in already.... nothing like a Nokona that takes years to do. Everyone likes their gloves broke at different levels... I've never had ANY complaints about my Akadema stuff.

I hope all is well.

Bill

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Current leading candidates (in no particular order)...

- Mizuno GXS57
- Akadema AEA65
- Worth Liberty Advanced

Outside shot...
- All-Star CMW3000 (This would be my choice for my DD, but she seems to have already convinced herself that it's too padded).

Aug 14, 2013
Current leading candidates (in no particular order)...

- Mizuno GXS57
- Akadema AEA65
- Worth Liberty Advanced

Outside shot...
- All-Star CMW3000 (This would be my choice for my DD, but she seems to have already convinced herself that it's too padded).

What are the key differences between the GXS92 and the GXS57? DD has been using the GXS92 for about a year and will use throughout the winter indoor season while we break in her new Vinci. It has been a good mitt for her but is losing its structure.I think we paid like $60-70 for it and have definitely gotten our money's worth out of it. I don't think I have seen the 57.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck