Favorite Pitch Counting App (speed not necessary)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Hi there DFP Community - what is your favorite pitch counting app and why? I am IOS based and need to get DD to 150 pitches per practice session. I already have Pocket Radar Smart Coach and can't understand why it doesn't have pitch count built in other than any difficulty involved in programing outward directional vectors like return throw or hitting speed.

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2018
Age? 150 seems like too many. Back on track, I use the Zebra brand Z-grip pen and a notepad, LOL.

Professional opinion; use time, not pitch count. A complete warm-up, and 3-4 groupings (minutes matching age) should be enough work 3-4 times a week minus games and practices. That should be 1 hour to 75 minutes max.

For clarification, minutes matching age: 12 yo throws for 12 minutes. 3-4 times a week is a good target, but if she pitches in practice and games those count toward the 3-4.

DD always warms up, and then does fastballs...the other 2-3 groupings will be related to what she needs/wants to work on. My students rarely get that much in in their hour, but my 90 minute kids will get close. Still not sure it's anywhere near 150 full pitches! I'd guess 80-100 full and then some drill work on top of that.

Feb 15, 2017
Hi there DFP Community - what is your favorite pitch counting app and why? I am IOS based and need to get DD to 150 pitches per practice session. I already have Pocket Radar Smart Coach and can't understand why it doesn't have pitch count built in other than any difficulty involved in programing outward directional vectors like return throw or hitting speed.

Thanks!
Do 15 sets of ten pitches or 10 sets of 15 pitches .

As an aside why is 150 the magic number?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Thanks for the replies so far. She is 14, and going in to high school where she'll be expected to throw 7 innings. We need to build endurance right now. She can throw 57 mph accurately for a short time, but that's not sustainable. It's been suggested we don't have conversations about holding anything back in the tank (moderation) and instead work on endurance. As an endurance cyclists, moderation is everything, so this was surprising for me to hear.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Yep, thanks for all the in-game recommendations for pitch count. We do get her game stats already from GC TM. I am most interested in pitch count from an app while we are in a practice session and something that does it automatically with iphone camera. Not something that I have to tap my iwatch or iphone to increment. @Gtrips07 pretty much nailed it on the way we do it now; I was just looking for an app that takes the guess work out of it without having to think about it.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Pocket Radar - Smart Coach does have a pitch count in the history. You can set a pitch speed range to exclude the throw back from the count. You may have to clear the history, or set-up multiple players, or activities to track history by each throwing session.

1628180820460.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00