falling off to side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JJ - great explanation, but I can't seem to get my 14 yo DD to understand when and why deceleration is necessary of the upper arm to optimize the whip. Can you expound this further such that a 14yo can understand?

tnx

The best explanation is this GIF. It overlays a single arm pendulum with a compound pendulum. It explains visually both the need for a loose arm with a slight bend in the elbow and how the next linkage will "suck" momentum from the previous linkage to add to speed. Notice how the previous linkage slows down as the next accelerates. this happens naturally with rotational motion but is enhanced by brushing. It goes back to good ole physics and the conservation of angular momentum. But the bottom line is loose linkages create the ability for whip and transfer of power down a chain. it is the reason a bull whip breaks the sound barrier (I think that is true and not an old wives tale but I have never confirmed).

Compound-Pendulum-1020.gif

Here is a clip of my adopted daughter Lizzy. About a year older but a great example of a good alignment of forces. see how she drives out and the rear foot disengages? this prevents ANY powering the pitch from a planted rear foot, all of the power has to come from the front foot plant/suck/whip.

Also see how all the power is going down the line tot he catcher?

[/QUOTE

really really nice form there JJ

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Here is a clip of my adopted daughter Lizzy. About a year older but a great example of a good alignment of forces. see how she drives out and the rear foot disengages? this prevents ANY powering the pitch from a planted rear foot, all of the power has to come from the front foot plant/suck/whip.

Also see how all the power is going down the line tot he catcher?

[/QUOTE

really really nice form there JJ

Thanks....I'll pass it along to her real father.....

Hey Boomers....Lizzy has another fan.

Sep 10, 2013
The best explanation is this GIF. It overlays a single arm pendulum with a compound pendulum. It explains visually both the need for a loose arm with a slight bend in the elbow and how the next linkage will "suck" momentum from the previous linkage to add to speed. Notice how the previous linkage slows down as the next accelerates. this happens naturally with rotational motion but is enhanced by brushing. It goes back to good ole physics and the conservation of angular momentum. But the bottom line is loose linkages create the ability for whip and transfer of power down a chain. it is the reason a bull whip breaks the sound barrier (I think that is true and not an old wives tale but I have never confirmed).

Compound-Pendulum-1020.gif

thanks for the explanation and the gif. i've seen this before i think from a post by js. i went thru the whole conservation of angular momentum with dd and her response was DAD! No Physics :). i know, it is physics i love it, DD doesn't.
I will try to get DD to watch this and hopefully, the lightbulb will turn on.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
It is a sticky thread in this forum, it has several drills designed to teach a pitcher the proper feeling of arm whip with internal rotation.

I view it as step 1 in developing a new pitcher.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/10321-i-r-classroom.html

Step two is getting a degree in kinesiology and tackling this thread..

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18135-drive-mechanics.html

I jest....the thread content gets deep but it is made very hands on at points. The detailed explanations are there so a reader can really understand the WHY...behind the drills but if you just stick to the drills you will come away with the necessary understanding about overlap/drive sequencing etc.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
thanks for the explanation and the gif. i've seen this before i think from a post by js. i went thru the whole conservation of angular momentum with dd and her response was DAD! No Physics :). i know, it is physics i love it, DD doesn't.
I will try to get DD to watch this and hopefully, the lightbulb will turn on.

You can also try this.

Stand with your left hand acting as a stop for your right arm. have it with the palm facing second base and the base of the palm resting against the right side of the bottom of your rib cage. Basically acting as a stop for your right arm. Now take your right arm and put it in the 9 o clock position and let it fall with gravity. If you do it right you will smack you left elbow with your hand pretty good just using gravity and the abrupt stopping of your arm with your left hand.

Now repeat without the hand stop and you will feel a significant amount of decrease in your hand speed.

Edy

May 24, 2010
JJ - great explanation, but I can't seem to get my 14 yo DD to understand when and why deceleration is necessary of the upper arm to optimize the whip. Can you expound this further such that a 14yo can understand?

tnx

FPC,

Maybe this will help:
Ask DD to kick a soccer ball (or any ball that can be kicked) with a straight leg. No bent at the knee. Just swing the entire leg onto the ball and see what happens.

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22TFZuHAs6Y

Then, ask her to kick the ball with a "normal" motion.. knee bent and swinging the lower leg as the right knee aligns perpendiculary to the ground

she'll hopefully notice how the deceleration of the upper leg can improve the speed and control of the kick
I believe that kicking and pitching share the same mechanical principle.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
It goes back to good ole physics and the conservation of angular momentum. But the bottom line is loose linkages create the ability for whip and transfer of power down a chain. it is the reason a bull whip breaks the sound barrier (I think that is true and not an old wives tale but I have never confirmed).

I actually looked this up once, since I use the bullwhip analogy to my students a lot. Unfortunately the older I get the less they know what a bullwhip is.
Zorro is out of the question, they have no idea who he is. I get some luck sometimes with Indiana Jones, at least for now.
But yes, it breaks the sound barrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug