Exit Velocity/Launch Angle ????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2015
Also need to consider the presence of a fence, and the height of that fence. OP didn't mention a fence, but I assume he meant hitting a ball over a fence (as opposed to simply hitting a ball 210 feet on the fly) since he said ''a 210 Ft Home-run.'' But maybe he just meant a HR that simply landed 210 feet away. Might be a 180-foot fence.

But if there's a fence out there, then you need to consider the trajectory required to hit a ball over that fence.

From watching my DD attempt to hit a ball over an 8-foot fence, it required her to get high elevation. I don't know whether it was 30 degrees or 45 degrees, but it looked more like a fly ball than a line drive. Not a lazy fly ball, but she had to get it up there or it wasn't going over. So maybe to hit a ball 210 feet (no fene) off a tee, she'd be better w/ a lower trajectory, but to hit one over a fence 210 feet away, she needs to think up, up, up.
This is true, and it's pretty likely the "up up up" is 30 degrees. Check out this Napoli HR - it practically looks like he hit it straight up but the launch angle was 29.8 degrees, Napoli's two-run moonshot | MLB.com .

Feb 17, 2014
Was at a camp today where the college coach said that between 20-30 degrees had the most HR & highest BA in college softball last season.

Jan 4, 2015
My indoor facility has a hit trax machine, and we have been fortunate enough to have Lauren Chamberlain, Amanda Chidester, and Sam Fischer all hit off of it. They are all ridiculously powerful hitters with exit speeds in the 70's with the highest at 78 mph exit velocity. The longest homeruns were in the 25-35 launch angle range. We do homerun derby's for fun for our members. We play off a machine, soft toss, and tee. The furthest I have seen off a tee was 227 feet and that was a 32 degree launch angle with a velocity of 71 MPH. This is a 13 (now 14 year old) girl that topped out at 73 MPH. It was pretty incredible.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My indoor facility has a hit trax machine, and we have been fortunate enough to have Lauren Chamberlain, Amanda Chidester, and Sam Fischer all hit off of it. They are all ridiculously powerful hitters with exit speeds in the 70's with the highest at 78 mph exit velocity. The longest homeruns were in the 25-35 launch angle range. We do homerun derby's for fun for our members. We play off a machine, soft toss, and tee. The furthest I have seen off a tee was 227 feet and that was a 32 degree launch angle with a velocity of 71 MPH. This is a 13 (now 14 year old) girl that topped out at 73 MPH. It was pretty incredible.

I don't know how to convert this link to a video you can play off this post, but it shows a 225-foot hit off a tee as measured by a HitTraxx machine. Notice ball placement. As I noted, if you want distance, you can manipulate tee placement to your advantage.

[video]https://twitter.com/BRrebellion/status/796507834997411840/video/1[/video]

Oct 10, 2011
I wish we had a Hit Trax close to us. When DD attended a camp a few years ago she said you need about 70mph ball exit speed to make it over their 220 fence...sounds like the hit Trax is pretty accurate.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I wish we had a Hit Trax close to us. When DD attended a camp a few years ago she said you need about 70mph ball exit speed to make it over their 220 fence...sounds like the hit Trax is pretty accurate.

I think they're pretty accurate. My DD has been measured several times, and her distances as measured by Hit Trax are very similar to those as measured by Google Maps.

Also, Alex Hugo was measured by Hit Trax at Baseball Rebellion in N.C., and she was hitting them 300+ feet with exit speeds of around 78-80, if I remember correctly.

Dec 4, 2013
In a study done with MLB swings a launch angle between 25-29 degrees produced the most homeruns. A launch angle between 10-14 degrees yielded the highest batting average at .775.....

LA_zpsxijklciu.gif

It's pretty eye opening what part of the cage you should be hitting.....

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
In a study done with MLB swings a launch angle between 25-29 degrees produced the most homeruns. A launch angle between 10-14 degrees yielded the highest batting average at .775.....

LA_zpsxijklciu.gif

It's pretty eye opening what part of the cage you should be hitting.....

I think for most Players it is best to stay between 5 and 25 degrees instead of optimizing for max distance. that way you hit for a high BA and 20-25 still can go for a HR if you hit it hard. maybe you can hit it a Little farther at 28-35 but the average will also go down if you don't have the power.

still the back of the Cage Thing is not good advice, since back of the Cage is 10 degree max. so I would say hit the top of the back half of the Cage.

like this

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2015
I think for most Players it is best to stay between 5 and 25 degrees instead of optimizing for max distance. that way you hit for a high BA and 20-25 still can go for a HR if you hit it hard. maybe you can hit it a Little farther at 28-35 but the average will also go down if you don't have the power.

still the back of the Cage Thing is not good advice, since back of the Cage is 10 degree max. so I would say hit the top of the back half of the Cage.

like this

This is why I had to put weights around the perimeter of the cage in our basement.
My DDs were smashing the heck out of the ceiling with an exit angle of ~ 30*, when the ball would hit the top of the cage and carry the net into the ceiling tile. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06