Everyone can play college softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is possible. But, you have to go to Podunk USA and act happy to be there. If your folks have the money to pay for your tuition, that opens a lot of doors, too. Getting a 30 on your ACT helps and it helps to be 6 foot tall.

But, schools like Benedictine in Springfield, IL are always looking for players.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I teach at a D3 school. I had a student who was a field hockey player. One day I noticed she was on the softball roster, too, so I asked her about being a two-sport college student. She said, "Oh, I've never played softball before. I'm just really fast, so coach uses me as a pinch runner a lot."

Mar 26, 2013
With the difference being one is where you played college softball and the other is where you played softball in college. While I understand the difference, intramural or club isn't what I think of in terms of sanctioned representation of a collegiate team and that isn't to knock club softball. When someone says that they played collegiate softball, I don't think the majority of people then ask a further question as to whether it was club or one of the various associations. (NCAA, NAIA, JUCO ...)
I was just being a smart aleck :rolleyes:

After all, your thread title is different than what he said - "anyone who wants to play in college will get to play in college."

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I got to watch a fair amount of college games live this spring, from Juco to mid-D1. Across the board I saw a couple of things, a few players that obviously were recruited in a last minute rush to fill a roster, a few who "wowed" me with their performance and made me wonder why they weren't playing at a higher level.

I believe if you "simply" want to say you played college, if you can remember which hand to put the glove on, you can find a school who needs you. If you set your mind, "I'm only playing for XYZ school", your chances diminish. ( this is not softball exclusive either )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole