Ever have this problem using Hit-N-Stik?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
At practice this week, we set-up three hitting stations 1) Hit-N-Stik; 2) front toss; and c) pitching machine. One of my team's best hitters who had just been at the Hit-N-Stik station could not hit any balll when she came over to my front toss station. We were using different size wiffle balls and TCB balls like we always do. Her hitting form looked fine but she was swinging under the ball and her timing just seemed a little off. Once she went to the pitching machine station she started hitting the balls fine after a few swings.

This is the first time we used the Hit-N-Stik this season and I am wondering if she wasn't using the stick properly and it threw off her mechanics a little. All the other players seemed to be ok though?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
“This is the most effective and versatile batting drill device available!” :)

I never have my girls actually hit this thing; I only pull it out when they are not watching the ball. Basically I swing it slowly and have them follow it with their head/ eyes.

Feb 14, 2010
SoCal,

I would tend to agree with you that it was timing. The lighter weight made her get htrough the zone quicker then what she's used to. I'm fighting this with my DD right now on front toss. Her swing has improved so much that it get's through the zone alot faster and it's messing with her. She's still swinging with her old timing.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
Is she starting her swing on her own first, then you swing the stick? Or are you having her time it out from when you start swinging, because if it's the latter that's probably more your fault than the sticks. It's just another thing to make contact with, but if the timing is all over the place there's nothing you can do.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Does everybody swing the stick? I always just hold it still and use it more like a tee that you don't have to chase balls and reload. You do have to be careful where you hold it though. If you hold it too far out front, or too far back between their feet, I could see it messing with their timing.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Don't Swing the Stick!

I think we could be talking about two different things here, both of which can be referred to as a "hittin' stick". one is a skinny bat (Thunder stick is another name), the other has the ball out on the end of a "ski pole" that is held by a coach. Because you also mention front toss and pitching machine, I'm thinking you're talking about the latter.

The latter is what I use. it's best use is stationary as FPM mentioned, "like a tee". it is for practice with hitting various pitch locations. A great drill to do with this is to have the batter close her eyes, you locate the ball and say "open", she opens her eyes and swings at the ball. If her contact isn't good, the coach and batter know it right away.

If you're using the version of this with the bungee cords and a stand that isn't held by one person while the other swings - I can't comment on that. Never used it. the value in the hittin' stick is the variability of location and the constant feedback to the coach- who knows better than the batter the effectiveness of each hit.

I seldom actually swing or move it and when I do, it's more of a walking toward the batter to replicate the flight of the pitch. I also usually do that only to illustrate a point, not as part of a drill.

I have seen good hitters who had trouble hitting the hittin'stick, and I've seen most hitters improve after using it, but I've never heard of anyone getting worse! Some girls try to hack the heck out of it without getting set in between swings. With all due respect, if we are talking about the hittin' stick I described, my first thought is that the tool isn't being used correctly.

Last edited:
May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
I think we could be talking about two different things here, both of which can be referred to as a "hittin' stick". one is a skinny bat (Thunder stick is another name), the other has the ball out on the end of a "ski pole" that is held by a coach. Because you also mention front toss and pitching machine, I'm thinking you're talking about the latter.

The latter is what I use. it's best use is stationary as FPM mentioned, "like a tee". it is for practice with hitting various pitch locations. A great drill to do with this is to have the batter close her eyes, you locate the ball and say "open", she opens her eyes and swings at the ball. If her contact isn't good, the coach and batter know it right away.

If you're using the version of this with the bungee cords and a stand that isn't held by one person while the other swings - I can't comment on that. Never used it. the value in the hittin' stick is the variability of location and the constant feedback to the coach- who knows better than the batter the effectiveness of each hit.

I seldom actually move it and when I do, it's more of a walking toward the batter to replicate the flight of the pitch.

I have seen good hitters who had trouble hitting the hittin'stick, and I've seen most hitters improve after using it, but I've never heard of anyone getting worse! Some girls try to hack the heck out of it without getting set in between swings. With all due respect, if we are talking about the hittin' stick I described, my first thought is that the tool isn't being used correctly.

Was doing basically this same drill with a "T" last year (moving the tee around, changing the height). Nice to know that others felt it is a good type of drill to promote quick visualization of ball location and quick adjustment to that location.

As for the hitting stick (thunder stik), I think ours was last looked at sometime in 2010, probably to get to something behind it :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
I'm starting to think I will put the stick in the garage so it can gather dust.

That's what I did. I don't like them. You have to watch carefully when using one. The girls seem to think it's a rapid fire machine where they don't set and load before swinging.

We use T's and soft toss instead.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
You have to watch carefully when using one.
That's why I like to use them. It's not something I would have the players do on their own.
The girls seem to think it's a rapid fire machine where they don't set and load before swinging.
That's why the coach needs to correct them. If you want a tool where the coach doesn't have to be involved, this is not the tool for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad