Evaluating Hittng at Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Wondering what folks think is the best way to evaluate hitting at tryouts? Seems like competitive, live pitching is the easy answer but with a big group of girls doing this in a productive way is difficult.

We've defaulted to front toss on the field with additional stations in cages for warm-up/2nd set of data. Thoughts?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
If you have the space-
One Front-Toss station, one machine pitch station.
After all, you are evaluating the swing above all else.

Live pitching will probably take too long

May 17, 2012
I always video a swing off of soft toss. I share the video with the player while I am reviewing.

I am looking for bat drag, squish the bug, arm extension, etc. These things will take time to fix and it's never clear if they haven't been taught properly or they are actually being taught these things. When you have the choice between hitters that have some or all of these flaws and someone that doesn't this makes the decision earlier. Many coaches think they can, "just fix it". Maybe but why not go with another hitter that doesn't require foundation fixes. I wish I had learned this earlier.

I also measure bat speed and try and look up any stats (high school, previous travel teams on game changer) that are available. I can see the competition faced and results so I can compare them to current players on my team.

This is at the 16u level.

Apr 12, 2013
I always video a swing off of soft toss. I share the video with the player while I am reviewing.

I am looking for bat drag, squish the bug, arm extension, etc. These things will take time to fix and it's never clear if they haven't been taught properly or they are actually being taught these things. When you have the choice between hitters that have some or all of these flaws and someone that doesn't this makes the decision earlier. Many coaches think they can, "just fix it". Maybe but why not go with another hitter that doesn't require foundation fixes. I wish I had learned this earlier.

I also measure bat speed and try and look up any stats (high school, previous travel teams on game changer) that are available. I can see the competition faced and results so I can compare them to current players on my team.

This is at the 16u level.

I agree with this. There is so much intel to grab from the internet. A lot of coaches in our sport fail to use all the tools available to them, or simply don't know the tools that are there for them. I would add skills video and also parent game videos (youtube, maybe from opponent or diff teammate parent footage). Most of the talent is on film somewhere, somehow (especially at 16 and up) All information is good, its how we use, or even ignore some of the information that is key. This is great scout/prep work, maximizing your potential return.

What do I see happen time and time again? The gal(s) at tryouts who pull a ball 220 feet, 30 feet left of foul pole. They continue to be selected by the enamored coach only to find out that this trait is actually not the trait of a good hitter, imo. The (coach/scout) fail to analyze the actual swing and where it is "today". They have already envisioned this person as clean up hitter. It's just coupling strength with no sense of timing. The one's who put 3 in a row down there are almost hired immediately. not sure that is the way to do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12