Ending of a timed game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2015
Actually... In almost all cases involving people who read this board and play in timed games the managers job should be to teach the game, stalling and doing bull crap things like changing the catcher is not part of that.

Yes I agree that having the catcher change equipment or changing the pitcher for no reason other than to stall time is crap. Where is the line though? We were recently just a couple runs up on a good team and had we gone another inning I wasn't feeling real confident. We had about 3 minutes until time was called. I didn't tell my players to stall. I would never tell the girls I was trying to stall a little. However I did have some girls take some pitches that I would not have had them take if I wasn't trying to kill those 3 minutes. Good time management or chicken shirt?

Jan 14, 2015
Actually... In almost all cases involving people who read this board and play in timed games the managers job should be to teach the game, stalling and doing bull crap things like changing the catcher is not part of that.

I agree with you and have witnessed some blatant and obvious tactics that are over the top a little. Although I have not seen catchers switched out, but I don't see that as a stall tactic because all it involves is another player running out in her catchers gear to takeover the position.

With that said, you'll have a hard time convincing me that if you are the home team and in the lead by 1 run, you're going to tell your players to hustle up to bat, stay in the batters box, etc. to give the other team a fair chance to get three quick outs so they get to bat again.

I'm not suggesting implementing obvious stall tactics to try and burn 6 1/2 minutes off, but you all put yourself in a position to win, as manager you owe it to your players to strategize good time management in a respectful way that will reward you the victory without looking like a pompous rear. I don't believe there's a coach on this board, that when they learn there's only 2 or 3 minutes left, they won't reconsider the pace of their play. Remember, at that moment there's no time to think, you either slow things down a bit, or you keep pushing; you need to make a reactive decision based on the circumstance. Honestly, what would you do?

Jan 14, 2015
Yes I agree that having the catcher change equipment or changing the pitcher for no reason other than to stall time is crap. Where is the line though? We were recently just a couple runs up on a good team and had we gone another inning I wasn't feeling real confident. We had about 3 minutes until time was called. I didn't tell my players to stall. I would never tell the girls I was trying to stall a little. However I did have some girls take some pitches that I would not have had them take if I wasn't trying to kill those 3 minutes. Good time management or chicken shirt?

Good Managing. Sounds like you put yourself in a position to win against a good team that you might not normally do. Kids worked hard, played hard and put themselves in a position to win. They did their job, now you need to do your job by helping them a little. 3 minutes is not onerous, like 5-6 minutes. Take a few extra pitches, give a few extra signals, if you get on base play cat & dog with the catcher after the pitch, etc. You did fine, no worries here.

May 31, 2015
Then why not make the game 1:09 instead of 1:10?

I assume this rule exists to help people who might think, 'Oh, crap, do we really need to do a whole 'nother inning when it's so close? Can't we just call it?'

But it's an illusion. No matter how you slice it, there is no escaping the fact that there is an exact moment at which time runs out. Why play games with it? Just set a time and stick with it.

Well, they are trying to move the brackets along I suppose. I mean I did witness a game where a team was down 6 runs with 2 outs and a runner on 2-2 count 10 seconds left and the coach had the runner step off the bag to start a new inning. This was in 95 degree weather with a heat index of 104. I would've been pissed if it was against me. But...maybe a better rule would be if you're down 5 runs or more we won't start a new inning with less than a minute. Most tournaments are going away from the 1 minute no new inning rule and I don't like to play them.

Jun 11, 2013
I was the one where they referenced the catching change and it wasn't just a switch out. Coach came out to the circle, and changed the pitcher. After she finished her warmups he had the other girl go out and switch gear with the catcher and take her place. That was total crap.

Rushing onto the field when you are up would not be smart. I don't slow down either though.

What I consider wrong are conferences with no purpose. Stepping out for no reason, taking extra practice swings. Subbing a player in the middle of the inning for no real reason, pinch running for no real reason. I've seen teams that intentionally make bad throwbacks to P and don't back it up.

It's a fine line but taking pitches is part of an at bat. If I have 2 minutes left will I just go hack at the first 3 pitches. I'll give some take signs. I've had a batter strike out with 2 outs on purpose to tray and get another inning.

In the end as someone said timing the game makes this stuff come up. We all know that teams do it to a certain extent. I think besides losing the game what annoys me the most are the guys who stall and think that they are so smart and fooling everyone. When the are called on it they get mad at you questioning their integrity.

In the end when our players or parents complain I always and I mean always point out that that is not the reason we lost. In order for the stalling to be effective you have to be behind so we let them get ahead.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My question is if you do disagree with time left (umpire calls the game) can you protest? I am not talking about a few minutes either way I am talking about 10 minutes.

This happened to us. Umpire said the timer was set and that was that. Thee math didn't add up no matter how you sliced it.

Can you protest the umpires ability to tell time?

If the umpire said the timer went off before the last out, then it did. Your timer in the dugout don't mean nothing. Good luck getting a protest upheld. Almost all umpires have timers have an audible alarm that goes off when time expires so it is normally not a problem.

I am wiling to admit we manipulate time in timed games in 14U. It is part of the game - and for below 16U, scheduled 7 inning games are pretty much non-existent. I think we have played 4 ASA tournament championship games that were 7 scheduled innings and for the past 12 months we have been running all our scrimmages as 7 inning games. Timed games are basically all we know - that is the game for us - well until next season anyway.

We play it pretty straight - then once we get below 20 minutes remaining, then depending on what is going on we may just let things go, or maybe we speed up when behind and slow down when we are up. In general we are pretty quick in and out - not [MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION] quick, but reasonable.

However, one of the main reasons we manipulate around end of games for the past 2 seasons is that frankly we have limited pitching depth on championship day. Also we have had some injuries so our bench is limited and getting players rest has been hard. If we are going to play five 5 innings games in a day, that is 25 innings we need to pitch with what is basically 2 pitchers (with a third we can use if we are way up or way down). Having to throw an unnecessary inning is a big deal on a long hot day.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi