Ending of a timed game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Some of our tournaments say they won't start a new inning with less than a minute to play.

Then why not make the game 1:09 instead of 1:10?

I assume this rule exists to help people who might think, 'Oh, crap, do we really need to do a whole 'nother inning when it's so close? Can't we just call it?'

But it's an illusion. No matter how you slice it, there is no escaping the fact that there is an exact moment at which time runs out. Why play games with it? Just set a time and stick with it.

Feb 17, 2014
When there is a time limit, you are always going to see teams work the clock those last 2-3 minutes. Saw it this weekend. Had a batter burn the last 3 minutes taking 6 or 8 practice swings before getting in the box, about 30 seconds per pitch.

It is just part of the game. You have your chances to score. Take advantage of them.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD's team has gotten to a point (18U) that the only games that matter are 7 inning games (qualifiers and nationals) , with no time limits. When we do play with time limits (showcases, non-qualifiers) we really do not care if we win or lose, we are looking for repetitions, so there is little to no stalling or clock management. Also, for showcases we want to maximize the amount of time in the field for the college coaches, so we skip warm ups between innings.

May 17, 2012
My question is if you do disagree with time left (umpire calls the game) can you protest? I am not talking about a few minutes either way I am talking about 10 minutes.

This happened to us. Umpire said the timer was set and that was that. Thee math didn't add up no matter how you sliced it.

Can you protest the umpires ability to tell time?

Jun 11, 2013
My question is if you do disagree with time left (umpire calls the game) can you protest? I am not talking about a few minutes either way I am talking about 10 minutes.

This happened to us. Umpire said the timer was set and that was that. Thee math didn't add up no matter how you sliced it.

Can you protest the umpires ability to tell time?

I don't see why not. He should give the start time and if you wrote it down and it's not past it, you should be OK. The only issue would be if he disagreed with the start time.

Jan 14, 2015
Not long ago, we were home team. We were up 10-2, and we were batting with less than a minute left. Defense scores double play. New inning starts with less than a minute to go. They score 6, 3rd out is made with tie runner on base. If there's time on the clock you have a responsibility to abide by the rules and continue play. It's a very cut & dry rule. Also, make a point of writing the start time in the scorebook.

Sep 29, 2014
Not long ago, we were home team. We were up 10-2, and we were batting with less than a minute left. Defense scores double play. New inning starts with less than a minute to go. They score 6, 3rd out is made with tie runner on base. If there's time on the clock you have a responsibility to abide by the rules and continue play. It's a very cut & dry rule. Also, make a point of writing the start time in the scorebook.

Always do this that way there is no questions

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

It ain’t over till it’s over. - Yogi

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
As soon as they put a timer on a game that's not meant to be timed, you have to manage it. Call it stalling, it's just running out the clock. No difference than running the ball in football and staying in bounds. Don't like it, score more runs and allow less earlier in the game. The manager's job is to put his/her team in the best possible situation to win.

Aug 6, 2013
As soon as they put a timer on a game that's not meant to be timed, you have to manage it. Call it stalling, it's just running out the clock. No difference than running the ball in football and staying in bounds. Don't like it, score more runs and allow less earlier in the game. The manager's job is to put his/her team in the best possible situation to win.

Actually... In almost all cases involving people who read this board and play in timed games the managers job should be to teach the game, stalling and doing bull crap things like changing the catcher is not part of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi