end of HS season brag thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd just finished her sophomore year. It was far and away not what we expected. We learned a thing or two and experienced some of the HS politics that frankly I didn't expect. My dd has been the #1 pitcher on her TB team for years, when not pitching she is the 1st baseman. You can write it in pen, she is the pitcher and 1st base. But in HS she did not pitch and she did not play 1st, she played RF all year. On top of that she did not hit to the level she expected. But she kept her attitude square and she went out and did her best every game.

Today we found out she was named All County first team. Like I said she didn't hit the way she expected, she had 2 mini slumps during the year, but she still managed to hit BA .395 OBP .489 SLG .605. She led her team in HR 2nd in RBI and 2nd in Runs she walked twice as much as the next best on the team. ON top of that she made several stellar catches and threw out runners at 2nd 3rd and home. Over all she had a good season and I am proud of her.

The lesson learned, while you may be able to flip a switch and be ready for to pitch when the season starts, the coach wants to see you ready to pitch when practices start. Next year she will be all county again, only as the pitcher.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
DD is also finishing her sophomore year. She was the #1 pitcher for her HS team this year (after sharing the #1 role as a freshman last year with a senior). This season she threw two no-hitters (one in HS playoffs), improved her batting average from .311 last year to .384 this year, and was voted best defensive player by her teammates. Best of all [at least for me as the gloating bucket dad ;-)] was her selection to the CIF San Diego Section Western League 1st team by the league coaches and her runner-up finish (by one vote according to the HC) as Western League Pitcher of the Year.

DW and I are so proud...thanks for the kind ears...

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
My dd is also a sophomore. She only plays the outfield for her travel team and she loves it. For her high school team she has started at Shortstop for two years. Her team is currently playing in the PA State Quarterfinals (Game was suspended yesterday due to the bad weather). The school team won the league title as it has done for the last 16 years and it's 3rd straight district title. She improved on hitting this year and currently is batting .415 with an OBP of .530. She has also scored 28 runs and led the team in stolen bases. On the negative side she has struck out more times than she did last year. We are hoping that her team wins the next game and continues on to the finals. It is always great to see a kid practice hard and improve their game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Just found out that the dd made the all district team. She has been pitching for her travel team. She is striking out a lot of batters but there is still some rust there so she is walking more then we want. And due to the lack of a catcher she has been going between catch and ss. Yep a left handed ss at 16u. She has turned a couple of heads with her play there.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Just found out that the dd made the all district team. She has been pitching for her travel team. She is striking out a lot of batters but there is still some rust there so she is walking more then we want. And due to the lack of a catcher she has been going between catch and ss. Yep a left handed ss at 16u. She has turned a couple of heads with her play there.

Congrats.

Y'all don't do all-district awards........at districts? After the champ game?

As a lefty myself it was always fun to play SS during my days of playing softball (although I did not do it often). It would always turn peoples head and usually took a little convincing for the coach. Although one game after our SS had committed about four errors in two innings I just took matters into my own hands, since I was playing left and backing up his mistakes, I scooped up the ball walked it into the infield threw it to the pitcher and then told SS "we are switching places, first error I make you can have your position back", needless to say he did not see SS for the rest of the game.

It is pretty hard to make the turn sometimes and you sometimes take a different angle to the ball but with a good glove and strong arm it is not that hard, although I do not think I would try it against Div I level lefty slappers, that couple tenths of a second would catch up with you a lot I imagine.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Congrats to your DD China. The HS politics is something I will never understand. Case in point, A Sr Centerfielder, 250ish BA, led the team in K's, had the worst fld % on the team, makes 1st team All League - Outfield... WTH?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Congrats.

Y'all don't do all-district awards........at districts? After the champ game?

We usually have an end of year gathering where all the awards for the league and then the state tourney are announced. We didn't have our get together so we are finding out piecemeal

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We usually have an end of year gathering where all the awards for the league and then the state tourney are announced. We didn't have our get together so we are finding out piecemeal

I'm always curious how things are done elsewhere. Our district awards are done immediately after the district champ game. Girls from teams who were eliminated earlier dress up and come to get their awards.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
That would be nice. It's this way in all the sports here we have a dinner or a gathering and the coaches hand out all the awards at once. The softball team is probably the only one in the while school that doesn't do MVP or any other team awards. Ad in the fact that the seniors are done so its hard to get a group thing done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67