Elite/Exposure/Prospect camps...how do you know which ones to sign up for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I was told that in the winter, they are only "clinics" and not to expect anything from them because they are fundraisers in preparation for college ball in the Spring. However, the university that DD is interested in...their summer camps are over-crowded and nothing really happens (other than the actual camp itself). I know that DD needs to email the coaches and put her self out there; she is a freshman this year and really won't do this until after this summer (when she's entering sophomore year).

Also, the elite/prospect camps have limited openings, so I would think they are limited for a reason? Sigh...this whole process is very new and intimidating for us. I have the Catharine Aradi book, but we are not at the point of sending out letters/resumes/emails yet (plus her book states to start this at the end of sophomore year for D1/D2, junior year for D3 and JUCO). I am just trying to set up a timeline for us to follow for the next couple of years...of course this can't be finalized without the camp dates. Additionally, DD will be trying out for higher exposure teams in August in the hopes of getting with a program that has a successful track record for exposure/recruiting.

I just figured the first step was to attend camps to get a feel for the college's softball program and to see if DD would have interest in that program. However, I don't want to waste money if it's not worth it (and how do you know if it is??).

Rambling...sorry.

Jul 26, 2010
Go to the camps for the schools your daughter seriously has interest in attending, and has the performance (grades/skill) to attend. Attend the camps when she feels she is able to make an impression as an impact player. IE, don't attend a camp to "see what it's like" with the expectation that she'll go back a year later and make an impression with her playing.

While at the camps, display charisma as well as talent and establish relationships with the coaching staff. Personalize the interaction.

-W

Dec 7, 2011
My personal opinion is that school camps are mostly just $-makers. The schools already know who they are looking at from the summer and they love to see those kids at their camps to further the relationship. But hitting a camp "cold" to me is generally only worth the additional play time that the player gets just participating.

Of course if a player goes to a camp "cold" and just blows the roof off the place with her performance I am not saying she will not get a look.

I have been to many school camps. There are allot of really good players out there. It seems like most girls really don't get the level of "line drives, all out dives, teaming energy, and unfaltering confidence" they need to display to attract a real look from these winter school camps.

Jul 26, 2010
For the bigger schools you're dead on, Rubberbiscuit, but for smaller schools they actually do make a lot of sense. If you play PGF you know that they have camp days for most tournaments. They'll have 25-50 colleges there each putting on their own camps. Sometimes there's only 5 kids in a camp, which is a great way to get one on one time with a coach.

They're not really about learning softball, they're about relationship building.

-W

Jan 7, 2013
I know of several girls who ended up at Mizzou after being noticed at their summer camp. They also have 15-20 other college coaches there and lots of girls will get noticed and pick up D1/2/3/NAIA offers (or ultimately get them) at the camp.

Relationship building is also a huge benefit of camps IMO.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Both camps and clinics are used as money raisers for the schools that put them on. I am in the same boat as you are in that my DD is a high school freshman and so this is all new to me also but I will pass on the advice that I was given by my DD's pitching coaches dad. He has been through it before and always has good advice.

Use clinics to see what is out there. You get a first look at the coach and how they carry themselves. It gives the kid a chance to gauge for themselves on weather or not they want to play for this coach. First impressions can mean a lot. If your DD does not like the coach then why spend the money to go to a camp there or even play for this coach for 4 years. It can help cross a school off the list. Next it can let your kids gauge where they are at. When a high school hot shot freshman walks out there with a top tier D-1 senior prospect that is about to get a full ride it can be eye opening at what you see.

We went to our first college clinic at a top tier D-1 school a few weeks back and my DD loved it. She said she learned so much and it was not anything different than what her coach is telling her it is just that he put it into different words that just made more sense to her. It also helped that she could see a college D-1 player demonstrate how to do it. It gave her someone to copy and to know what to work on for the next 4 years. Did she impress the college coach. I would say NO. Was it a learning experience? YES! Take it for what it is worth.

Camps are something that we have no experence in but from what I have heard they are where your kids get the real chance to impress the coaches and also the coach can decide if they want your DD to play for them. You may be a stud but if you don't play well with others or always late, or a diva, the coach might not want you. It can also be the best one on one time that your kid can get. So take it for what it is worth.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
I know that DD needs to email the coaches and put her self out there; she is a freshman this year and really won't do this until after this summer (when she's entering sophomore year).

You are 12+ months behind in the process if you do that. Letters should be sent out now for all freshman, especially if they are playing in high level program. Get on the coach's radars. Your DD can not be on them too soon.

Quick note. 10 years ago I was coaching a 10U team. I had a D1 coach who was an ALL-American slapper working with my kids. I had one girl who was VERY athletic. The coach took notice and asked about her and her information. So you see... You NEVER know when your DD can catch a coaches eye. And all it takes is one yes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi