Ejected spectator returns to sideline

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Saw my 1st ejection tonite - and he came back.

First game of ASA Association Championships:

A great game between 2 tough opponents was marred when the opposing team's coach wanted to argue multiple calls, which riled up certain individuals on her team's sideline. There's no love lost between this coach and other coaches in the region. She is what she is, she's a known quantity, and we just deal with it.

The umpire crew was very patient, but direct with her. During the main episode, she was then warned about her team's sideline. Less than 1 minute later, the umpire turned to a fan on her team sideline and ejected him from the park.

I don't want to be overly dramatic, but it was pretty traumatic for a few of our girls and also a bit for me, because I know the guy - our DDs have the same PC. I cannot imagine how disappointing it might have been for her to see her dad tossed. :( She just turned 9 this week.

Our team (visitor) scored 4 in the top of the inning to take a 5-3 lead. The home team did a good job of wasting between 4-5 minutes of game time. Same coach last Sunday had gone to a deliberate stall - which included a conference with the #2 hitter to demonstrate how to hold a bat - in the bottom of the 6th inning to run time out with 2 outs of a 3-1 contest.

Before the top half of the inning was over, however, the ejected dad returned to the sideline, having gone to his vehicle and changed his sweatshirt. The home team came up in their half and pushed 2 runs across to tie the game. Time expired as the bases were loaded with 2 outs. Next batter cracked a 3-run double to end the game.

I wish they had not been able to benefit from their malfeasance (persistent arguing of a judgment call), but while it appears that may have been the case, our team also had chances on the field to get out of that inning with the lead or at worst, a tie. The opponent came up with timely hits.

But what about the fan who came back? Should his return to the sideline have been protested? He sat quietly and did not harass the umpire anymore, but that action did not sit well with me.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Saw my 1st ejection tonite - and he came back.

First game of ASA Association Championships:

A great game between 2 tough opponents was marred when the opposing team's coach wanted to argue multiple calls, which riled up certain individuals on her team's sideline. There's no love lost between this coach and other coaches in the region. She is what she is, she's a known quantity, and we just deal with it.

The umpire crew was very patient, but direct with her. During the main episode, she was then warned about her team's sideline. Less than 1 minute later, the umpire turned to a fan on her team sideline and ejected him from the park.

Must be a local rule. ASA rules do and should not offer any authority over spectators.

I don't want to be overly dramatic, but it was pretty traumatic for a few of our girls and also a bit for me, because I know the guy - our DDs have the same PC. I cannot imagine how disappointing it might have been for her to see her dad tossed. :( She just turned 9 this week.

Our team (visitor) scored 4 in the top of the inning to take a 5-3 lead. The home team did a good job of wasting between 4-5 minutes of game time. Same coach last Sunday had gone to a deliberate stall - which included a conference with the #2 hitter to demonstrate how to hold a bat - in the bottom of the 6th inning to run time out with 2 outs of a 3-1 contest.

Before the top half of the inning was over, however, the ejected dad returned to the sideline, having gone to his vehicle and changed his sweatshirt. The home team came up in their half and pushed 2 runs across to tie the game. Time expired as the bases were loaded with 2 outs. Next batter cracked a 3-run double to end the game.

I wish they had not been able to benefit from their malfeasance (persistent arguing of a judgment call), but while it appears that may have been the case, our team also had chances on the field to get out of that inning with the lead or at worst, a tie. The opponent came up with timely hits.

But what about the fan who came back? Should his return to the sideline have been protested? He sat quietly and did not harass the umpire anymore, but that action did not sit well with me.

This is why I'm a firm believer that if you must use a time limit, it should be time+1 inning.

Feb 3, 2011
Must be a local rule. ASA rules do and should not offer any authority over spectators.

This is why I'm a firm believer that if you must use a time limit, it should be time+1 inning.
Thanks, MTR. For real ASA events, I thought that only a coach can be ejected for the actions of a fan, not the fan himself.

It would have been nice to do +1 in both cases this week, but we hope the girls are gaining a lot from these tough losses. Our coaches are learning a great deal about game management. I think Sunday's championship will be a full 7-inning contest.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
After DD’s 8U season we had a new local rule where spectators can be tossed, I name this rule after DD’s HC. “The Bob Rule". :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks, MTR. For real ASA events, I thought that only a coach can be ejected for the actions of a fan, not the fan himself.

It would have been nice to do +1 in both cases this week, but we hope the girls are gaining a lot from these tough losses. Our coaches are learning a great deal about game management. I think Sunday's championship will be a full 7-inning contest.

The best way for an umpire to handle an unruly fan (and I'm not talking about just getting rid of them for hollering at the umpire) is to approach the coach of the team with which this fan is associated and ask the coach to deal with it. If the coach refuses and there is a TD, stop the game, and I mean stop the game, and address the issue with the TD. If there is no TD or other authority, just tell the coaches you are not continuing the game until that fan leaves. And, btw, if there is a clock........... :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves