Educate me on batting cage nets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
I think there are 2 questions you need to be asking yourself: What is the purpose of this cage and how long do I want it to last? If it's just for your DD only, and you want it for 5 years, mid grade will be just fine. If you're going to use it for a team and want it to last for 10 then only the most expensive will do.

I've got a full size baseball net, 70x14x12. I got lower/mid grade rope (the higher the gauge the more you pay of course). I researched ebay and found the best deals. One company had a sale going on and I jumped on it. My DD and I use it a good 5x a week for up to an hour+ at a time. It's held up well for 2 years now. For a whole team though, it would not have done the trick. I can also say it's probably at about its half life. I'll probably need to replace it in another 2 years, if not 1.

Mar 31, 2011
I bought the lightweight 55 foot net for about $200. Built 3 u shaped pole brackets and hung the net from it. About $300total in it.

Pros. Lightweight #21 type net. Easy to put up and take down. Move it into the pole barn in the winter. Works well for a home unit.

Cons. Blows in the wind. Couple of holes after 3 years. Hard hit will roll under net.

I did build a full backstop with 4x4 poles, chain link fence. 12 by 12 foot. DD pitches into this and tee work. So this helps extend the life. Real use is long tee work and front toss.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30