Educate me on batting cage nets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I am about to buy a 55ft net. There are cheap nets and there are expensive nets. I want to spend as little as possible but still have a quality product. Any tips, suggestions on what to buy or what not to buy would be appreciated. This will be outside. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2008
I dont remember who I got mine through, but it was a high quality net with heavy gauge rope and good UV protection. I used it for 5 years and donated it to my daughters highs school when we moved. It is at least 10 years old now and has been out in the AZ sun the entire 10 years and is still in good shape. Basically you will get what you pay for. Cheap may sound great but when you replace it in 2 years it wont be such a great deal.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Nets are like shoes... cheap nets fall apart and rip out big holes in no time...just like cheap shoes. You get what you pay for!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am about to buy a 55ft net. There are cheap nets and there are expensive nets. I want to spend as little as possible but still have a quality product. Any tips, suggestions on what to buy or what not to buy would be appreciated. This will be outside. Thanks.

The answer is in your screen name. When you become a coach, you become broker

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I can agree with the Broke part. :)
I am all for buying the best equiptment I can afford. What should I expect to spend on a good quality net? I am looking for 50 - 55ft x 12 x 12. I am seeing ranges from $300 up to $800. Basically I do not want to end up paying $400 for something that is only worth $200.
I notice they (rope size used to make the nets) all come in different sizes as well. I am guessing the bigger the rope, the longer it last, the higher the price?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
We bought ours from Wheelhouse batting cages. I got the 60' length. It goes completely over my pitching area with plenty of room. They sell different sizes and thickness of netting. Here is the feedback I would have.

Pros:
Easy to purchase and set up. You buy the kit which includes all of the hardware and the net. I had to go to Home Depot and buy conduit for about $3 a pole. The 60' cage required 33 poles. With the help of my 67 year old Dad, we were able to put it up in about an hour. Looks awesome, and I can move it fairly easy if I need to. Price was a plus, I wanna say I have around $700 tied up with shipping and all the supplies.

Cons:
Net I got was lightweight. There is no weighted ends. When it storms bad, the net started to blow off the frame. It was easily solved by cutting an old 100' garden hose in half. I ran it through the net to hold it down on the sides. Works like a champ. I have only had cage about 3 months. Use it almost daily. So far, no tears or holes. In the Florida sun, I anticipate it lasting only about two years. I could be wrong. Even if I had to replace the net in two years, I would be looking at around $1000 invested at that point. Still not too bad.

Overall it is a great product. Without a doubt best investment I have made in softball. Easy to set up, and not a permanent fixture. If you are looking for something to last you 10 years, I may look at a different solution. For the price it is outstanding. You can google Wheelhouse cages and find the website easy. Customer service was great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors