Easton Mako Catching Gear? Reviews?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2013
Looking to purchase new catching gear for my 11U daughter. She currently uses the Youth Easton catching gear. She liked the Easton set a lot and we are leaning towards the Easton Mako set. I am specifically worried about knee protection, heart and collar bone, most important a helmet that prevents concussions. Little League WS went with Easton but I do not know if that was a quality decision or a financial decision.
Does anybody have any thoughts or other recommendations that could be useful?
Mizuno Samurai G4?
All Star?
Thanks for your time.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
My daughter swore by Easton when in high school and early college.... in the last 3 years they have gone cheap with their equipment. Especially shin guards and patella padding. One of our NECC/ACC catching camp catchers had new Mako gear and I was impressed. Easton appears to have stepped up with angled padding on the chest protector to drive blocked pitches down, (ALL Star has this feature as well) The non-symmetrical shin guards have very good patella padding as well. Mizuno chest protectors are like hanging pieces of slates on your chest. Ball impacts are transmitted straight through the C/P into the chest....
Here's a shot of the patella padding.

IMG_9821 - Copy.jpg

BTW, Rawlings has some of the best shin guards I have seen in a while. The padding is exceptional! C/P's tend to be a bit wider than most. The masks seem to good as well. Here's a link to Torian's New Rawlings Gear

Dec 19, 2012
Just bought DD the new Wilson ProMotion gear, it's super light and she loves it so far. Seems the chest protector is much more form fitting than any I've seen, and she's worn about every brand. Here's a cool YouTube link to it:

Wilson Fastpitch ProMOTION Catcher's Gear - YouTube

My dd has had the Wislon ProMotion gear for a year now. It's her favorite gear she's ever had by far. The gear has been abused with over 100 games under its belt, not to mention multiple practices, pitching lessons, and college camps. The knee guards are showing wear: One plastic knee cap is cracked. Some will say that you're not blocking correctly unless you're breaking knee guards, but it's really from blocking on concrete IMO at the pitching lessons and indoor camps. I will try to Gorilla Glue the crack, and if that doesn't work I will buy another pair of ProMotion knee guards for game play and have her use the original guards for pitching lessons. The nice thing about the helmet is the grill has shock absorbers, reducing the impact of foul tips in half, and the padding inside the helmet is comfortable. The chest protector is a 2 piece design which allows better movement when throwing the ball. It also has dual shoulder caps and is overall very protective. Asthetically, it's also the best looking gear out there IMO. I highly recommend this gear.

Len

Aug 28, 2013
My dd has had the Wislon ProMotion gear for a year now. It's her favorite gear she's ever had by far. The gear has been abused with over 100 games under its belt, not to mention multiple practices, pitching lessons, and college camps. The knee guards are showing wear: One plastic knee cap is cracked. Some will say that you're not blocking correctly unless you're breaking knee guards, but it's really from blocking on concrete IMO at the pitching lessons and indoor camps. I will try to Gorilla Glue the crack, and if that doesn't work I will buy another pair of ProMotion knee guards for game play and have her use the original guards for pitching lessons. The nice thing about the helmet is the grill has shock absorbers, reducing the impact of foul tips in half, and the padding inside the helmet is comfortable. The chest protector is a 2 piece design which allows better movement when throwing the ball. It also has dual shoulder caps and is overall very protective. Asthetically, it's also the best looking gear out there IMO. I highly recommend this gear.

Len

Lenski,

Completely agree, the mask is amazing and the only one the DD will wear. She says the impact feeling of taking a ball off of the face is very much reduced - I've really never seen another mask like it and I'm surprised more company's don't go with the "floating" face mask design. The chest protector seems to be way more comfortable than any I've seen too, it's very soft and form fitting, all the others just seem to be bulky and rigid and not fit girls well at all. Best looking set of gear for GIRLS that I've seen as well, IMO.

It didn't hurt that Kaylyn Castillo from ASU has been her favorite player since she watched her in college and is on the video too :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00